Shelving/worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.pearson

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter has asked if I can put up a couple of shelves in her Bedroom, I was going to build something with 18mm birch ply, probably some shelving & cupboard space. It may get painted if she decides to do that but she may not lol. Having phoned my usual supplier birch ply is almost double the price of something like far eastern at the moment. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use that instead? I know it can have voids & isn't the best quality but that's a big price difference. Since I am not going to be machining the surface & will use the iron on edge banding then I didn't think any voids would be a problem but I don't want to have to do this again because it's fell apart lol

I brought some really decent stuff from Wickes 6monts ago and built my camper from it. Equal plys no paper thin plys decent glue lines....

Brought some on Saturday and it's rubbish! Paper thin outer veneers pulpy cores, glad it was only for a rabbit hutch!

Cheers James

See of they have wisa twin, it's poplar core with birch surface veneers. Nicer than the average Chinese ply from jewsons.

Ollie

Back