Shelving query - what thickness of birch ply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each upright (2400mm) and 7 brackets (for 12" shelves) is working out at around £24. You would be adding an extra 4 of these (are my sums ok?) at 12" centres. 18mm birch ply is about £110 (it seems). Not sure how much softwood would be. Interesting to see what the most cost efficient system would be.
New scaffold boards have doubled in price here - now £37 for a 3m board. You might be able to find cheaper unbanded ones on facebook marketplace

Unfortunately the workshop has gone as I downsized to a flat, so birch ply seems a good option since it presents a better front edge than mdf.
I spoke to someone who is involved in the Mens Sheds organisation. I know nothing about them but there are a few in and around Edinburgh, that may give you access to a workshop.

What about adult woodworking courses. Very many years ago, in the depths of winter I did a metalworking course, I was building a trailer, used their machines to cut all the parts, they even let me take my own (borrowed) arc welder in to weld some of the parts, but that was in the mid seventies, no doubt the rules would not allow that. Still have the trailer.

I spoke to someone who is involved in the Mens Sheds organisation. I know nothing about them but there are a few in and around Edinburgh, that may give you access to a workshop.

What about adult woodworking courses. Very many years ago, in the depths of winter I did a metalworking course, I was building a trailer, used their machines to cut all the parts, they even let me take my own (borrowed) arc welder in to weld some of the parts, but that was in the mid seventies, no doubt the rules would not allow that. Still have the trailer.

Yes, I learned to weld and machine in colleges in NI in the 1980s and 90s. Great options and low cost. I think those are all gone, now. But ... I know someone who has a good workshop and may become his best friend. Could look into getting him to make me up oak nosings and attach these to 18mm MDF. That was how I have been doing shelving for decades. It works well, and looks fine.

Back