Shelving - Maximum load

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting up some Twinlock shelving.

The brackets have a load specification of 47kg maximum weight. Can I assume that means that 2 of them can support 94kg, 3 support 141kg and so on, if the weight is spread?

Geoff_S":33b02x9m said:
I am putting up some Twinlock shelving.

The brackets have a load specification of 47kg maximum weight. Can I assume that means that 2 of them can support 94kg, 3 support 141kg and so on, if the weight is spread?

I used to sell racking to industry. Load specifications are usually for spread load over the entire shelf and allowance has to be made for shock loads when dropping goods on to shelf. Long brackets on top shelves can present a problem as there are no higher fixings on the upright so they can pull away from the wall if overloaded. You would have to check with Twinlock as to whether bracket load figures are for individuals or, per pair.

I think so...

The limiting factor will probably be the total carrying capacity of the uprights (related to quantity and type of fixings to the wall, and the construction of the wall itself).

Are you planning something seriously heavy?

The rating is per bracket; if using two you can double the load if uniformly distributed (UDL).

As others have pointed out; keep an eye on the load capacity of the twin slot runners, your fixings and the shelving span. Also remember than the brackets have to support the shelf itself so include that in your total load.

Woody2Shoes":67cjbvwe said:
I think so...

The limiting factor will probably be the total carrying capacity of the uprights (related to quantity and type of fixings to the wall, and the construction of the wall itself).

Are you planning something seriously heavy?

Well, it's to hold a couple of fermentation vessels, probably about 40-50kg each spread over 1 metre on 3 x 47kg brackets. Screwed into 100*50mm vertical timbers with 6x70mm number 4 screws on a 1980mm vertical twinspot support x 3.

Or I could do a light ale ..... :D ...... I'll get my coat.

Back