Shellac sealer spills on clothing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have had a bit of a cock-up on the clothing front.

I splashed Rustins Shellac Sanding Sealer all down my trousers, which are cotton chino type material.

I am sure you, just as will my wife, will ask me why I was not wearing work gear. Well, you know how it is....thinks "this won't take a minute" and next thing you know you get shellac all down your trousers. We must be talking 20 ml.

Does anyone know how you go about getting it out? I dabbed it with meths, to no avail, and then with acetone, also to no avail.

Any help welcome.

Cheers

Steve

thinks "this won't take a minute" and next thing you know you get shellac all down your trousers

Laughed so much I've now got coffee all down my trousers.

If it's shellac it should be soluble in household ammonia solution -that's how I often clean brushes.

If it is pure shellac, it should be soluble in sodium carbonate solution ( otherwise known as washing soda NOT bicarbonate of soda).

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product ... =285047163

Generally £1 per kilo - I use it in the washing machine all the time for my work uniform.

Perhaps soaking in a bucket of warm water with about 100g in and leaving it overnight might do the trick. If not you can still use the soda to colour softwood and clean out your washing machine.

Simply cut out the stained areas of your trousers.

Pete

Back