Sheet Materials for Benchtop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after building a breakdown bench/assembly table to be used and stored outside, However I want to span about 8ft between two oversized trestles, so the stifness of the worktop is a bit of an issue.

I was considering using OSB3 over a latticework of pressure treated carcassing material, but was unsure of how thin I could get away with and still have a solid feeling benchtop.

I'm also unsure if unfaced OSB would make a nice working surface, I'd be intending to cover it with a carpet offcut for assembly work, but would it be worth facing it with thin WBP or Marine ply for heavier duties?

Any input most appreciated.

Jelly":rnh400ua said:
I'm after building a breakdown bench/assembly table to be used and stored outside, However I want to span about 8ft between two oversized trestles, so the stifness of the worktop is a bit of an issue.
You might consider an angle-iron frame, talk to your local agricultural engineer.

There was a video for a fantastic self-assembly bench from an American wood worker which broke down into manageable sections but was large and sturdy when assembled. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

Back