Sheet Material Sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shultzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been laying out the pieces I need for my kitchen cupboards on to an 8'x4' template to see how many I require. I've suddenly realised that an 8'x4' sheet may not be 8'x4' (2440mm x 1220mm) but 2400mm x 1200mm. My question is what is the size?

Any sheets of timber, ply,mdf etc I have bought from the DIY type outlets have been 2440x1220.

Get into metal, and your onto 2x1, 2.5x1.25, 3x1.5, 4x2..... not that you care about that. :lol:

Sorry to spoil your sleep but I just hope you are not planing on using MFC as that wil come in at 2800x2070 or MF MDF at 2650x2070, thats Egger but most are the same. Though white can be had in 8x4

The only building boards you are likely to see in 1200x2400 are plasterboard.

J

Locally both metric and imperial sizes are available, the last ply that I bought was from Brazil and was 8 X 4.

Roy.

The only wood based sheet material I have come across is OSB which the last lot I had was 2400 x 1200, I think this is because it is used as backing behind plaster board.

The other is Weyroc flooring which went metric in the mid 90's when I was half way through installing a office floor, which we set out for imperial sizes. My supplier only had half of what I needed in stock and when the second batch arrived it was metric, 40mm shorter and 10mm narrower.

My apprentice at that time loved having to put extra bits of joists in to carry the joints.

Tom

tomatwark":3hsh3jyz said:
The only wood based sheet material I have come across is OSB which the last lot I had was 2400 x 1200, I think this is because it is used as backing behind plaster board.

The other is Weyroc flooring which went metric in the mid 90's when I was half way through installing a office floor, which we set out for imperial sizes. My supplier only had half of what I needed in stock and when the second batch arrived it was metric, 40mm shorter and 10mm narrower.

My apprentice at that time loved having to put extra bits of joists in to carry the joints.

Tom

That's interesting Tom, I had a dozen sheets of OSB in the other day and that was 1220 x 2440 - I guess it all depends....
sods law eh?

Bob

Not sods law it depends what its designed for.

As I said above plasterboard is 2400x1200 so if you buy chipboard flooring or roofing OSB which is generally on the top side of the joists it will suit the 400mm spacing that the plasterboard needs.

J

Back