Sheds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solicitus

Established Member
Reaction score
So my inlaws in Edinburgh want a new garden shed for storage to replace their existing one. Basically looking for a 10 x 6 pent roof. Local joiner has quoted them 3k to build one. From what he says I am assuming it is to be built from scratch if he gets the job. I don't have time to build one from scratch. I could erect a kit. What should I look out for ? My past experience with sheds is that the floors are always insubstantial. Any recommendations for suppliers ? Looking for pressure treated, hopefully coming in at £1000 ish, although could go higher.
Robert

we have just put in a tiger shed 12 x 6 pent roof flex (you can choose where to locate the panels to move the doors around etc.)
£580 when we bought it at the beginning of March - about £840 now! Shed prices are rocketing... have noticed a general 20%-50% increase in the last month or so...

floor is fine, quality of construction is not amazing, but okay - some screws slightly put in wrong / not 100% perfect lining up etc. but we have put it together quite easily and it seems strong enough... the stability and strength of the floor is as much in the base as the kit

in parallel we have had another building rebuilt (much larger) and that is rock solid... the difference between a kit and custom built... £3k might be right for a custom built and hugely strong shed, but is way above what a kit would be... (though for a kit - add in cost of base etc.)

Tiger sheds are well worth a look - we have an excellent one at the allotment : BUT I screwed it all together rather than using the bag of nails that came with it (for strength and if we wanted to take it apart) - also doubled up the felt roof with quality (laid the supplied felt one way and the extra, lapped, the other way)

... BUT I screwed it all together rather than using the bag of nails that came with it
ours mainly came with the right fasteners - mix of screws and nails - but there was nothing connecting roof and front or back wall, so the whole shed moved...
fortunately I may have had a few boxes of screws lying around and it is now much more rigid!

Many thanks for the feedback and recommendations. My in laws have ordered from Tiger sheds, a bit of a lag on delivery but should be here start of June.

Robert

Back