Shed Time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
What with this damm virus wreaking havoc and being 71 years old (yea an old git lol) I have been going to the shed nearly everyday and bloody well enjoying it, not that i didn't before.
I have three different things on the go and didn't realise how much i enjoy making jigs to carry out certain procedures.
Years ago i made a solitaire board that was about 2ft in diameter with 1 1/2 dia balls, this, now this was quite a dodgy make for me what with it's size of it and getting all the dimples for the balls exactly right.
I have more tooling now than then and have been making smaller ones, about a 1ft diamerter with balls about 3/4 in dia.
I have a bandsaw now that lets me rough cut the main diameter, i then finish it on the router table to get a perfect round.
When my dad dies 20 years ago i had to clear his shed out and came across this beautiful piece of wood, really dark about 6ft long 1ft wide and 1 1/2 thick, cant remember what the wood was. He told me he had "acquired' it after a night out with his mate and walking home through a park, yes it was a bench seat. From that i made my 2ft one and a slightly smaller one for my sister, just thought it would be a reminder of him for us both.

Any of you have stories to tell.

I have built a wood shelter, I now need to get a stock of wood in to keep warm in the summer :D , filled two large skips, made a small start at tidying the workshop, following finishing two months of work at my daughters, and organised a local community support group. I am sure I will get time to something more interesting one day in next few months, perhaps.

Been trying to knock up a quick desk for the boys who are now home schooling. I honestly told the wife I’d do it on the quick and likely a bit shoddy, and I do tried to but I can’t, especially as it’s the last of my oak stock which isn’t going to be replaced any time soon. I doubt being stopped with planks sticking out the back of the motor will be accepted as a trip for necessary supplies.

F.

hawkeyefxr":1xuts4pi said:
What with this damm virus wreaking havoc and being 71 years old (yea an old git lol) I have been going to the shed nearly everyday and bloody well enjoying it, not that i didn't before.
I have three different things on the go and didn't realise how much i enjoy making jigs to carry out certain procedures.
Years ago i made a solitaire board that was about 2ft in diameter with 1 1/2 dia balls, this, now this was quite a dodgy make for me what with it's size of it and getting all the dimples for the balls exactly right.
I have more tooling now than then and have been making smaller ones, about a 1ft diamerter with balls about 3/4 in dia.
I have a bandsaw now that lets me rough cut the main diameter, i then finish it on the router table to get a perfect round.
When my dad dies 20 years ago i had to clear his shed out and came across this beautiful piece of wood, really dark about 6ft long 1ft wide and 1 1/2 thick, cant remember what the wood was. He told me he had "acquired' it after a night out with his mate and walking home through a park, yes it was a bench seat. From that i made my 2ft one and a slightly smaller one for my sister, just thought it would be a reminder of him for us both.

Any of you have stories to tell.

Assuming your dad acquired that plank 50 or more years ago, its most likely Teak. Lovely chocolate brown and very easy to cut.

I have the remains of a large office stair tread from the 60's which is teak. I made a much smaller solitaire board than yours from it.
https://pbase.com/john_cooper/image/166878994

I'm also 71 this year, it was a good vontage.

Fitzroy":flna5aon said:
Been trying to knock up a quick desk for the boys who are now home schooling. I honestly told the wife I’d do it on the quick and likely a bit shoddy, and I do tried to but I can’t, especially as it’s the last of my oak stock which isn’t going to be replaced any time soon. I doubt being stopped with planks sticking out the back of the motor will be accepted as a trip for necessary supplies.

F.

I have all but used up my supply of oak as well, just a few bits 6 or 7 in long.

hawkeyefxr":3u66jmen said:
Fitzroy":3u66jmen said:

F.

I have all but used up my supply of oak as well, just a few bits 6 or 7 in long.

Attachments

• DSC_0590.JPG
    DSC_0590.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 66
I like the solitaire board.

My dad has made a few of those. He made this one for me, even making the wooden balls. He made the balls on his metalwork lathe. You spin a dowel in the chuck of the lathe and then come in at 90 degrees with a spinning hole saw. Seeing the set up stationary I couldn't see how it would make a ball, but as soon as he switched it on it made sense!

IMG_7332.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7332.jpeg
    IMG_7332.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 89
Back