Shed thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All very nice Rich, I love that snake wood.............all I got is Pepper wood and Pine............. #-o , but lots of Sun though 8)

Thanks Leo, not had much time lately but am trying to get back into it :D

Some more pens

P1000507.jpg

P1000506.jpg

Hello JT, I had a good time with the batch, still a few more to go. I like that style of working, when you have all the blanks glued up and you are ready to go, turning 20 in one hit is great fun. Music on and think about nothing else, fantastic :D !!!!!!!

This was a satisfying little project today

P4230128.jpg

Ha, no way Rich, I had a big(ish) batch of pens the xmas before last and got so fed up with them I haven't been able to make one since, despite having 20 odd kits in the shed!!! Mind you I've foolishly agreed to do a craft fair in June so I guess I'll have to make half a dozen or so up :lol: The music is a must when turning, you got to get it up nice and loud 8)

Mallet looks great BTW :D I've been meaning to make one for myself for ages and not got round to it(like so many other things :lol: )

Music music music!! Great but how?

If I wear earphones, I can't hear what the wood is doing properly and despite having a reasonable dust extraction system, any standard pair of speakers is going to clog up PDQ.

What do you use?

I use the car radio we had in our caravan and along with 4 car speakers I got quadrafoniks.. The speakers are angled in their boxes and when nailed onto the wall they face downwards. No problems at all with them 8) 8) 8)

And he shal have music where ever he goes. Nostaliia Radio, lots of French and English old stuff, great!

Jonzjob":12wco01j said:
Yeh but does it give you surround-sound quadrifonickers man? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oh Gawd - anuver wun wivout ears.

Dat quadrafingie stuff was outre in the 60's and is still rubbish now!

All you need is two Quad ESL's and a good Valve amp and that is music - however, probably not the best idea near the lathe. I'll see if I can find TWO car speakers or something similar. I only have two ears!

"Warning to Purists: Despite certain qualities about the ESL-63 speakers which you will probably like, Quad equipment is not designed primarily for audiophiles, but for serious-music (call that "classical") listeners who play records more for musical enjoyment than for the sound. Quad's loudspeakers do not reproduce very deep bass and will not play at aurally traumatizing volume levels, and Quad's preamplifier is compromised through the addition of tone controls and filters, all for the purpose of making old, mediocre, and/or worn recordings sound as listenable as possible. "

I think that says it all? And there were I thinking that they were real mains powered speakers. The ones with a mains powered electro magnet!! Powerful stuff!

I two only got too ears, but when I move from one part of my workshop to another I still get the sterio as they are set diagonally! Clevur ehh?

Jonzjob":3ifme4tg said:
"Warning to Purists: Despite certain qualities about the ESL-63 speakers which you will probably like, Quad equipment is not designed primarily for audiophiles, but for serious-music (call that "classical") listeners who play records more for musical enjoyment than for the sound. Quad's loudspeakers do not reproduce very deep bass and will not play at aurally traumatizing volume levels, and Quad's preamplifier is compromised through the addition of tone controls and filters, all for the purpose of making old, mediocre, and/or worn recordings sound as listenable as possible. "

I think that says it all? And there were I thinking that they were real mains powered speakers. The ones with a mains powered electro magnet!! Powerful stuff!

I two only got too ears, but when I move from one part of my workshop to another I still get the sterio as they are set diagonally! Clevur ehh?
Wot a load of old toffee!!

For a start ESL 63's are rubbish - I use the proper ones from 1957. When use properly on decent stands the base is more than adequate especially when used with a nice Quake sub woofer. Passive pre-amps are rather useful if tone controls are not your thing. As a guitar maker, I know what they sound like and the Quads sound the same - accurate sound means real musical enjoyment. If its real how can you not enjoy it? Transistors of course are for computers not for amplifiers.

My wife is into heavy metal and such stuff as well as the 'purer' forms that I tend towards and we both happily listen to pop, blues, jazz etc. She LURVES the ESL57's and the old Leak valve amp. In our bedroom is her old system - a zillion watts per channel (as opposed to my eight) Huge JBL's that can move the house ten feet when the amp switches on and they sit sadly ignored 'cos she's downstairs bopping to the Quads.

I can't help but feel a slight veering off thread topic here :oops:

Jonzjob":9kunnqvw said:
I use ear buds wiv me iPod Touch :mrgreen:
Hmmm,

Apple lossless is just about reasonable for me now I'm deaf!

The wife who has the ears of a bat (best not I think) can just about put up with CD, hates ANY compressed format and prefers, like all sensible people, the sound of vinyl - and I've heard all the arguments from audio engineers about why she shouldn't, which is why they are still trying to invent something better than CD of course! The human ear may not, in theory register anything outside the frequency range of CD but there are things the old brain registers that might just not be measurable, especially after a good bottle of red.

right then Rich, i'll get it back on topic here as this is a thread about YOUR work and not about the quality of bleeding speakers.

Love it rich, after doing all the pens i bet it was a welcome change. well done..

Back