Shed thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the top part of a doomed bowl.
Shame, lovely piece of wood.
The final mistake was going through the side, that is how it goes sometimes, hopefully back out in the shed on Thursday to turn out a successful one.

I know what went wrong and I suppose that is the important lesson.

The woodworker who has never made a mistake has never made anything.

P1000385.jpg

Must admit I was not over enthusiastic about the "Splatter" ©, not because of the design concept, I think that's novel and would look great on a less figured or even an unevenly figured or blemished piece, just think it's a shame to cover up such great figuring.

I like the idea but I'm with Chas and would prefer to see it on a piece of bland sycamore or beech. Keep going for it as I think it is a really novel idea, could work with pyro or carving as well?

Pete

Hi Rich,

No problem with the splodge at all, it is very neat and well executed. However, I think you should cover the whole piece in splodges, so that the reamining grain in between all the splodges creates it's own random pattern. I can visualise this in my mind and I bet it would work well.

I have a platter I made a while back and I may try this on it, put my money where my mouth is so to speak! :D

Cheers,

Lee.

Thanks for the feedback on the splat, all of your opinions on any of my stuff is warmly received :D

More mess made, I am planning to have a good clear up tomorrow when the rest of the gang are off to russian club, she is trying to find things for me to do around the house, I am resisting!!!!

Burr Elm
P1000391.jpg

P1000392.jpg

Brazilian rosewood
P1000389.jpg

P1000390.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You and your ***@ !* wood stash, it ain't fair, too much of an advantage on the glitz stakes before you put gouge to blank.

CHJ":3a4llrgb said:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You and your ***@ !* wood stash......................

Thats exactly what I thought!!

Thats lovely work Rich, two beautiful bowls 8) Two outstanding bits of timber 8)
Good to see you've taken the mounting evidence off the bases,makes all the difference :D

JT

Hi Rich,

Both of these bowls are very beautiful indeed.

The removal of chucking evidence from both pieces works very well indeed.

The Elm bowl is drop dead gorg, I actually like the underside of the bowl more, excellent rounded shape and looks like a major touchy feely!

What is this business about the comp btw!?!? Are you not taking part? Why?

Cheers,

Lee.

As usual Rich two lovely looking bowls in some beautiful timber. =D> =D>

I`m presuming the shed is a little less "crowded" than the last time i saw it :lol: :lol:

I`m getting a bit more motivated & have re-started making my vac chuck, if you & mad dog fancy an evening out :)

Best wishes.

Doug.

Thanks guys, these two have turned out nicely.
Sounds good Doug we should sort it out soon, week after next?

I have been fitting the vari speed conversion to my lathe today (MILES are you out there.)
It is a finger squashingly painful job.
The wiring side couldn't be easier, clear basic instructions that are a breeze to follow.

Problems / headaches / finger squashers
- getting the old motor out
- getting the pulley off the old motor
- fitting the new motor in

As you are struggling to this on your own you are thinking this would be better with two people. In fact two people would not make it any better the space you have to play with is tight.

It is done and sounds fantastic!!!!!! Very quiet

However my 240 motor has a 19mm bore and the new 3 phase motor has 5/8th bore. So no more turning until I either buy a new one or go down to Glos and strip out my other lathe.

Looking on the bright side I should use this as a chance to really sort out the shed. I have recently bought a compresser for grit blasting, with the air gun attachment I blew the whole shed out with the windows and doors open. It looked like a sandstorm :D I had the power cap on as it was all the fine nasty stuff that hangs about.

I will keep you all informed with progress, I am itching to get back turning already :D

Rich beautiful bowls once again, and you know what i'm gonna say about when you come over next, yep, bring em with you.
hope to see you soon, and we will go over and torment douy too.

Back