Shed / Summer house roofs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to recover my 8x6 shed and summer house roofs, as the old 'paper' felt has perished particularly at corners / folds.
Once I replace the rotten bits of board, I'm wavering as to which route to go. EPDM has good lifetime, but is the most expensive, then Felt shingles - certainly look the best, however, I don't fancy it without installing metal drip edge as they do in the States - the trouble is finding it in the UK. It's commonplace and peanuts in the USA. Any suggestions - has anybody been down the felt shingles or EPDM route? Or should I just go with decent felt on the basis that the sheds are 20 years old already, so the roof lasting another 30 years is pointless.

Si.

Have you considered bitumen roofing sheets?
You can get different profiles and colours.
Not used them but plan to, for replacing a shed roof.

I think it's either EPDM (though looking at nearly £500 for membrane, trims etc) or cheaper option (under £250) of decent 'super' shed felt or felt cap sheet.

Simon.

knappers":2byf7af5 said:
I think it's either EPDM (though looking at nearly £500 for membrane, trims etc) or cheaper option (under £250) of decent 'super' shed felt or felt cap sheet.

Simon.

Don't buy the trims. They'll probably cost more than the rubber, and they aren't necessary. You just need a little thought at the edges of the roof to form drips......funnily enough, precisely the job I am doing this afternoon on my bike shed roof. Without the trims, I bet your rubber will cost less than the felt alternatives.

I would be interested to see how you finish the edges... Post up plenty of pics if you can.
Thanks
Si.

Note sure it's a lot of use, Si, as I have some odd details (such as a lean to extension with a very slightly lower roof) to deal with. Essentially just glue the rubber around a batten in such a way as to form a drip at the lowest oustside edge.

Back