Shed roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodchipWilbur

If you never fail you're not trying hard enough
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter is buying her house. (They've rented for years but the landlord is selling up.) One change is that she can abandon the rather inconvenient allotment and dig up the back yard instead.
The shed needs to move. It is a standard B&Q type 6'x6' and the roof is made of Weetabix Board (are we supposed to call it OSB now?) and the Weetabix Board has done what Weetabix Board does best when it gets wet. Much of it is already in the skip (or on the compost heap.)
Bearing in mind that her bank balance is like any bank balance when you are a first-time house buyer, what does she replace it with?
Is it likely that it'll be cheaper to put the whole shed in the aforesaid skip and start afresh?
In all of this, budget is the ruling factor! I suspect that our old age pensions, which are the only input into the Bank of Mum and Dad may get squeezed again anyway...

I'd be think take it apart, cut it down and screw together using part of one of the panels as a new roof, obviously with some felt.
Use as a garden tools store until funds permit and they [you] can fund a new shed that exactly meets new requirements.

colin

If you have a bit of leeway on time then keep an eye on Freecycle/trashnothing websites. After the recent weather there have been a few sheds for spares on our local one, a bit of creativity and a roll of felt and you should have something that'll do the job if only temporarily

Can you find any used plywood sheets?

18mm are most common. Or some packing case sheets. Not high quality but with shed felt do the job.

For shed felt I've found B+M the cheapest ATM.

We have a wood recycling centre near us, most of their wood comes from building sites so they have a lot of plywood, maybe with the odd corner knocked out a a few nail holes. They are well priced and for a small fee will deliver

I'd be think take it apart, cut it down and screw together using part of one of the panels as a new roof, obviously with some felt.
Use as a garden tools store until funds permit and they [you] can fund a new shed that exactly meets new requirements.

colin
I probably didn't explain properly... The shed IS taken apart. The T&G wooden sides are OK - the roof sections (OSB with a timber frame) have disintegrated. The timber sides and floor are, I think, salvageable. They'll need treating etc before they are erected in the back yard (she's in a miner's terrace house in The Valleys) The intention is to rescue the (?50mmx50mm) "joists" but replace the wafer board (much of which has disintegrated) with a better sheet material before, of course, felting it.

Colin: "Use as a garden tools store". That is its exact purpose!! It's not a workshop at 6' x 6'!

Tris: We do have leeway on time - and Freecycle is very much in the psyche of the daughter and son-in-law...

Thanks, too, Jameshow. B&M will be worth a look - but their local go-to is Trago Mills near Merthyr. Some amazing prices there!
Used plywood sounds good!

Thanks, all. I'll pass it all along.

Probably better just to either buy a new one or build your own, I remember asking a guy in Wickes years ago why they sell firewood that looks like a shed!

I would echo the comments of other members by using reclaimed plywood sheets but also as you say the shed is tongue and groove then consider using reclaimed t/g floorboards as they will have spent most of their life inside ( be aware tho of woodworm) . I’ve recently used a product to treat used timber with a preserver and it’s brilliant as once treated let it soak in for24 hrs and you can overpaint it with a finish of your choice-I went with marine varnish as it’s for a greenhouse.

Sorry phone playing up - preserver used

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 9
I’d use OSB again but check for osb 3 as it stands up better to moisture. Then rather than using felt use roofing rubber. It’s what I’ve done for mine and so far has been much better than anything I’ve used before.

6x6" shed aint so big....
replace the roof joists with 2x4 or similar and make a lean to on one side.....
plenty of used curtain-sider material to be had....indistructable....for the sides....
ideal for the gardner's tools and wheel barrow.....
depending on the compass could also be used as a cold frame....
as for the roof, just go ply....all OSB is cheap rubbish, thats why they use it...

then build a proper shed later in life.....

I’d use OSB again but check for osb 3 as it stands up better to moisture. Then rather than using felt use roofing rubber. It’s what I’ve done for mine and so far has been much better than anything I’ve used before.
That would be excellent stuff. And I see I could get it in wide widths so I could cover the roof in a seamless sheet. I can see only one snag.
Bearing in mind that her bank balance is like any bank balance when you are a first-time house buyer
She could buy a roll of cheap shed felt for around £16. The site I looked at was quoting, for the same area, £113.88
I very much doubt that a rubber roof on a shed that cost <£300 two/three years ago is going to happen!

That would be excellent stuff. And I see I could get it in wide widths so I could cover the roof in a seamless sheet. I can see only one snag.

She could buy a roll of cheap shed felt for around £16. The site I looked at was quoting, for the same area, £113.88
I very much doubt that a rubber roof on a shed that cost <£300 two/three years ago is going to happen!
Glue the felt I not just nails don't ask my how I know!!

Instead of felt I would use this corrugated material Onduline Black Bitumen Corrugated Roof Sheet - 950mm x 2000mm x 3mm | Wickes.co.uk
It will outlast felt several times over and not expensive, you could use it in place of wood and felt or use the word as well for additional support but on such a small shed I don’t feel this would be necessary. Think about the cost of wood and felt and at £16 a roll I doubt it will be the best of felt thus very short lifespan?
Just my 3 pennyworth !

Do you need a shed? If the whole garden is to be dug up presumably no lawn mower to store, so just some digging tools?
Would a potting shed to protect seedlings be more useful, so plastic twin wall on the frame you have?

what about using black DPM for the roof covering................ Its cheap as chips and you can get a 4x5 meter sheet at your local Bradfords builders merchants for £5.00. You could double it up and just replace it every year for a fiver .I've been using it as a pond liner for 8x years so its durable and waterproof.
If you need cheap strong timber there's nothing better than pallet wood. I have made countless things from old pallets including a 90 meter garden fence , a huge composter and raised vegetable boxes on castors

Back