shed lining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
Having almost completed a "Playhouse" for the grandson, I'd appreciate advice on lining the inside,would M.D.F. be suitable?.
Normally kids get tired of such things after a time as they get older so it must be easily altered to a proper shed, (Just like Grandad's).
Thanks a lot folks.
Pip

Hi Pip

I need a bit more information before I can answer.

Is the playhouse going to be sited outside? Are you thinking about mdf to get a smooth surface for painting?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,
Yes, the playhouse will be sited outside, I was thinking of just a plain mdf lining to hide the framework, (less chance of bumping heads), but due to the info on the link you provided I am going to get in touch with the firm, there's a branch about 16 miles from here, can't take chances with the lads health, or anybody elses.
Thanks to you and devonwoody for your responses, it' handy to be able to tap someones brain when my own gets lost.
Thanks,
Pip

I would have though the risk from emissions from MDF in an outdoor shed would be minimal. For a start it's likely to have a high turn over of air inside, and also the amount of time kids are in it, is minimal - unless they sleep in it!

Adam

Pip,

It occurs that moisture might be a problem with the MDF, unless playhouses have got a lot smarter than they were 25 years ago (double glazing? insulation? central heating? You never know these days :shock: ). Just thinking out loud.

Cheers, Alf

Pip,
Why not use hardboard? If you intend to hang things off the lining eg shelfs etc than clearly mark where the framing timbers are on the inside of the hardboard.
For insulation if required you cold fill the void between the framing timbers with polysterene insulation.
I have been doing this around my own workshop for the past year or so acquiring quite a few sheets of hardboard from skips when people thow out old wardrobes & kitchen units etc.

AndyP

Hi Alf

Alf":22k0kag0 said:
It occurs that moisture might be a problem with the MDF

The green monster mdf has obviously not reached Cornwall then. :wink:

It is now damp proof. I've used it to line my workshop. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

The green stuff? D'oh, forgot about that. I've seen pictures of it too... :wink: So does it come in green and minus evil fumes, then? Will wonders never cease? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Wow! plenty of replies, thanks to all.

Asleitch, if his dad reads this to him at home he may well want to sleep in it now, but that's his dads problem.

Alf, it's a thought, but Neil to the rescue again, I'll be getting in touch
tomorrow with the firm on the link from Neil to see if they have it up here.

Dedee, like the idea of hardboard (it's cheaper), also like your method of obtaining it, but there are too many tight fisted Yorkshiremen up here,
so too much competition.
Thanks again everybody,
Pip

Academic now by the sound of it but :

a) isn't MDF considered dangerous when cutting, i.e. the dust! and thus no risk to kids?
b) There has been no proof that MDF dust is any more dangerous than any other very fine dust despite considerable research over (I think) 20 years

Just my 2p worth

Cheers

Tony
Who always wears a mask when cutting MDF(or wood)

Tony,

After quite a few arguments in which we debated the dust issue of MDF (and yes the HSE seems to indicate all dust is as bad as MDF, their is no "better" and "worse" dust, it's all equally unhealthy - I think now, it's the release of Formaldahyde fumes from MDF we seem to be worrying about. I think KeithS originally drew eveybodys attention to the fact you can now get Low-Formaldahyde and Zero-Formadahyde MDF from certain suppliers. From what I can gather, it releases the fumes for quite a period of time.

Adam

Back