shed insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just built a 12 x 8 shed on a concrete base in the garden and the next step is to insulate it. Hopefully next weekend! The walls of the shed are 22mm loglap, so a bit heftier than your average shed off the shelf I suppose. The shed is close to the fence between myself and the neighbour, so I have to consider sound as well as heat insulation. It will be used for furniture making, so it needs to be kept dry and at as close to a constant temperature as I can manage. There will be small machines such as a planer/thicknesser, table and band saw, etc nothing too heavy, but these tend to be the noisiest in my experience! I wondered if anyone would be able to help me with the insulation options, I have had a good look on the internet but looking for those who have actually used the products.

My first thoughts were to use 50mm Rockwool sound insulation then cover with 6/9mm birch faced ply. This is still a possibility however at £15 a sheet of ply the cost starts to rack up. My preference obviously is not to spend a small fortune but will consider all options. Could anyone recommend anything or give me some tips?

Also, should I insulate the floor? Is this necessary?

Any help would be great!

fibreglass and the cheapest sheet material you can lay your hands on. birch faced ply is too expensive have suggested visqueen on another post. windows and doors will let the sound out just as well as your walls and insulating the walls for sound might not be as affective as you think.
all the best
rob

is that sheets of fibreglass rob? what is visqueen? so what do you suggest for windows and doors? do you believe it's not possible to get decent sound insulation because of this?

your doors and windows will let the sound out. visqueen is plastic sheeting the sort used as a damp proof membrane under concrete. what it does do is provide a cheap barrier between you and the insulation so it keeps the insulation in place and stops you having to breathe it. it has no structural use whatsoever. all the best
rob

Ok that sounds good Rob, thanks very much. Will look into that tonight.
Any other suggestions from anyone to keep me busy?

I will hopefully following you in the next few weeks and was thinking about celotex board for the insulation, and maybe OSB3 for the interior walls?

I will watch this thread with interest

If it were me and I was trying to do it for as little as possible I would look at glass fibre loft insulation covered by plasterboard with a vapour barrier.

A bit of skirting board at the bottom just to finish it off.

Visqueen is OK but you cannot fix anything to it and it may promote condensation on the walls.

Just my thoughts, I am no expert.

Mick

Hi,
Thanks very much for your replies

Could you elaborate on the glass fibre insulation please? I have considered plasterboard and will be looking into it.
Am a bit concerned that it is going to get dinged to death but that is the least of my concerns i suppose.

Does celotex have sound properties?

I have just made a call about rockwool, so will be making enquiries about other products next.

Thanks again

fraser":2qaiujh5 said:
and osb3- this is exterior sterling board correct?

Yes, as I understand it. One of the firms in my other thread said they'd do their roof with that with Ondulite sheet on the exterior.

I might also look at Roc Slab / mineral wool slab. I put a load of it in between floor joists and a false stud wall for sound insulation / warmth in the house a few years back.

Fun stuff to fit (you cut it with a bread knife or similar!)

I was referring to rolls of glass fibre loft insulation, the really itchy stuff.

On a previous shed build I just stuffed it between the uprights, then a vapour barrier of polythene, then the plaster board.

Mick

I haven't looked up the loft insulation yet-how did u rate that? maybe not so good if you haven't carried on using it?! how did the polythene fair? Did you get condensation on the walls? What have you used more recently?

Will look up the roc slab thanks-as long as it keeps the timber warm and dry! From the name it sounds like a board material? Will have a look tonight. The problem is also getting the stuff over to the isle of wight. we are limited to shops over here :)

fraser":fh6mcoox said:
Will look up the roc slab thanks-as long as it keeps the timber warm and dry! From the name it sounds like a board material? Will have a look tonight. The problem is also getting the stuff over to the isle of wight. we are limited to shops over here :)

Think of the Roc slab as dense firm loft insulation. It isn't solid but has definite shape and form which means you can install it vertically in wall voids etc. IIRC I got mine from Jewsons about 6 years ago.

fraser":2hk2wqcu said:
I haven't looked up the loft insulation yet-how did u rate that? maybe not so good if you haven't carried on using it?! how did the polythene fair? Did you get condensation on the walls? What have you used more recently?

We now have a log cabin but did use loft insulation in the last two sheds I erected, it worked OK. My wife works from home and each time we have moved house we have erected a new shed for her to work from.

Be careful with the solid Roc-Slab if it is just a little too thick for the space you have available it will either push the shiplap off the outside or make the plasterboard bulge. The loft insulation is quite easy to cut and compress into the space.

Mick

When I did my garage I used

2" x 2" battens

50mm celotex insulation boards ( Or similar make )

And OSB 8 foot x 4 foot boards ( Painted with primer / undercoat / top coat )

Its important to do inside the roof as well as heat rises and fill any gaps with expanding foam ( seal all the joints )

Then its amazing at how little heat you need to keep it warm :p

link to my project re insulation

what-s-blister-up-too-now-t34753.html?hilit=garage

Ok great thanks very much! Was a good read and gives me a few ideas...
What about the floor, it is worth doing? I am leaning towards yes but who knows....
I have just rang b and q, pretty useless as always but they do have:

Normal rockwool £3 for 5m2
Soundproof plasterboard £14 12mm 8 x 4 sheet-is either that or ply/chipboard of some degree
Knauff fibreglass roll, thick stuff though not sure it will squish down enough
And an incapsulated roll, which has foil, polystyrene and fibreglass within it for £10 5.5m2
Didn't have celotex, believe the knauff was the nearest alternative.
Can get some polythene easy enough if it's worth using.

Will be giving a couple of other places a ring but they will have the most choice I suppose. Going to be quite expensive going down one of those routes but heyho.

Blister, regarding this comment on your thread:

'One thing to keep in mind when you insulate the roof is to leave an air gap between the insulation and roof and a route for outside air to circulate. This will stop condensation forming and consequential damp problems. '

What did you do for this? Simply fix your insulation to your joists on the roof, rather than between them? So that you have a gap between the joists? What did you do for the route for outside air to circulate??

Have got a few more prices and produsts:

A rockwool slab rather than roll pack of 12 @ 1200 x 600 £31 plus vat (anyone know the different in properties between the slab and roll???)

Ecotherm-bit too pricey I think and he didn't sound too sure of this as a good idea on the phone

Polystyrene board 2" 8 x 4 sheet £13

Recticell (think this is what Blister used??) 50mm thick 1200 x 450 £3.82 a sheet

Any comments??

fraser":2kna8q0u said:
Blister, regarding this comment on your thread:

'One thing to keep in mind when you insulate the roof is to leave an air gap between the insulation and roof and a route for outside air to circulate. This will stop condensation forming and consequential damp problems. '

What did you do for this? Simply fix your insulation to your joists on the roof, rather than between them? So that you have a gap between the joists? What did you do for the route for outside air to circulate??

Have got a few more prices and produsts:

A rockwool slab rather than roll pack of 12 @ 1200 x 600 £31 plus vat (anyone know the different in properties between the slab and roll???)

Ecotherm-bit too pricey I think and he didn't sound too sure of this as a good idea on the phone

Polystyrene board 2" 8 x 4 sheet £13

Recticell (think this is what Blister used??) 50mm thick 1200 x 450 £3.82 a sheet

Any comments??

All I did in the roof insulation panels was cut some strips and glue them with double sided tape to the top ( roof side ) of the panels to hold the panels away from the actual garage roof

Back