Shed Floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

The floor in my shed is 3/4'' plywood, bearers are 3x2 at approx 400 centres. I recently purchased a Fox 10'' table saw (174 kilos net weight) which I put on a mobile base, moves very easily. However, hit a problem in that one of the wheels sank into the plywood, I guess probably a void in the plywood. My thoughts are to either use chipboard or MDF over the plywood to overcome the matter but don't know if this will work. Anyone got any ideas how to resolve such a problem?

Turning to cleaning the cast iron table I believe Webrax was recommended on this forum, don't know which grade or what should be used with it. Any recommendations?

Cheers Con

I would go for another layer of plywood - chipboard has no real structural strength if it ever gets wet,whereas plywood can get damp and dry out again without losing it's integrity.
If going for MDF,use the Moisture Resistant variety (MR MDF)

Andrew

Screw through into bearers some panel adhesive would help and extra screws to pull panels together varnish or paint finish .
Castors to be 3 inch or larger, flat wheel not crowned type.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for advice. If I used another layer of plywood wouldn't I still get the same problem of a wheel finding another void in that plywood too? At the moment I favour the Moisture resistent MDF (did not know that this existed) that you suggested. I have some 18mm MDF so will trial it first.

Cheers Con

Hi Old

Thanks for advice. The mobile stand that the saw is on is a Dakota, its wheels are 3'' but do not appear to be completely flat across. I guess they may be slightly crowned. Would this have an adverse effect re finding the voids in the plywood?

Cheers Con

Also worth considering- 8x2's of MR flooring chipboard T&G all round. The tongue and grooves help spread the load and also keep the joining edges flat. It's cheap too

John

Hi Old

You have set my mind at rest re the castors.

Cheers Con

Hi John

Thanks for your advice, very helpful. I went along to Wickes this am and they stock the MR chipboard, and it is cheap too, £4.98 for an 8x2. As it is T&G do you think the weight itself will keep it level on the floor or would it be better to screw to and through the existing plywood floor into the joists?

Cheers Con

What you are trying to achieve is a thicker floor that will not deflect so you need to 'stick' the new to the old and hold it in close contact a lazy S of panel adhesive and screws will give you a stiff floor deck.

Hi Old, thanks for your help

I am going to use MR chipboard flooring (from Wickes). I did coat the plywood flooring with Saddolin preservative hope this does not prevent the panel adhesive adhering to it. The only adhesive in Wickes catalogue is a version of No Nails. Will check when I go there to see if they have panel adhesive.

Cheers Con

Back