Shed: Build or Restore?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
My current shed is a leaking uninsulated 10x8 prefab steel box, has a big problem with damp and the floor needs replacing.

SO... replace the floor; take off the roof, apply silicone and put it back on; insulate throughout and then clad the inside with OSB

OR.... make a new shed out of wood with a nice strong floor, a watertight roof and insulation?

It won't cost a great deal more to make a new shed, but our house is for sale so it would have to be made in van-portable sections when it does eventually sell. Then what about storage etc?

But if I fix the metal shed then I would have even less internal space as I do now.

Please help [-o< !! What should I do :duno: ?

Mark

personally I wouldn't do either I would leave as is and build a new one at your new place
as I don't think its going to change the value of the house your selling if you have a good or bad shed.
Dave

No contest - new timber all the way !!!!!!

Reading between the lines I think you have talked yourself into it already - Anyway, think of the fun in building new !!!

I sell sectional timber sheds so if you need plans or ideas let me know and I will see what I can do.

worsley947":31zhr326 said:
personally I wouldn't do either I would leave as is and build a new one at your new place
as I don't think its going to change the value of the house your selling if you have a good or bad shed.
Dave
I understand what you say Dave, but round here the property market is stagnant - at least in our price bracket. The £500,000 plus market is great, the £150,000 and less market is good and we're stuck somewhere in the middle. Have been for almost 10 months now and we've only had 2 viewings (the house was completely renovated last year so it's not that putting people off, though the first viewer didn't like a big garden while the other wanted the Brecon Beacons to be included in the price by the feedback we got!)

Chris By The River":31zhr326 said:
No contest - new timber all the way !!!!!!

Reading between the lines I think you have talked yourself into it already - Anyway, think of the fun in building new !!!
I talked myself into it 8 months ago but I didn't have the time to make a new one. Now I'm excited about starting! Can't wait - do you think timber merchants are open now?

Chris By The River":31zhr326 said:
I sell sectional timber sheds so if you need plans or ideas let me know and I will see what I can do.
Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it, but I've got it all planned out already! However, I bet I will be needing advice at some point so I'll start a new thread documenting my attempt. I gather you all like that don't you!

Cheers,
Mark

Melinda_dd":c4iiwry9 said:
Wait till you move then build a stonking great timber one in the garden that's gonna be pick specifically for that reason!!!
But what if it takes 2 years for the house to sell? What am I going to do with no shed?!

We'll buy a house with an outbuilding ideally, which I can convert into a nice big workshop and use the shed for storage. Failing that I could build an extension onto the shed to make it actually usable, but only when I have the space to do so.

My mind is set: make a shed :norm:

Watch this space

Mark

Mark,

From experience;

Sheds never actually complain, but by the time you notice they need some TLC, plus time for the usual 'round tuit', it's far to late to rescue them.

So, build a new one. Make it good enough, that whoever buys your house can also get something out of it. Then when you have a big, big garden, build a proper shed.

HTH
John :)

Benchwayze":2vysf1nq said:
build a new one. Make it good enough, that whoever buys your house can also get something out of it. Then when you have a big, big garden, build a proper shed.

HTH
John :)

Leave it behind??!! :shock: We've had to drop the price of the house over 40k as it is so they're not having my shed as well!! :evil:

As a matter of interest, how much did anyone here pay for materials for a shed they built themselves (as apposed to a ready-made shed)?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

I just costed the materials I'd need for a shed of 8' x 6' (Approx. 2 metres by 2.5 metres). The timber for the shell would cost me £400 -£500.

(Bear in mind I would be using 75mm x 50mm pressure treated for the frame, plus ship-lap for the cladding. Also a floor and roof substrate made from floorboards.
That also includes a 150mm x 50m pressure treated for a base frame. ) It could be an expensive shed for a secondary workshop, but far better I hope than a bought in model.

John

As others have said, build your new BIG shed... I mean workshop, when you arrive at your new house. But, with the cost of timber going higher all the time, start looking out for materials now.

My workshop (BIG shed) is 11' x 27'. When I built it 10yrs ago the materials were much more affordable (in relation to my wealth). I've added 5 more outbuildings and 2 aviarys over the years and the rising cost of the basic materials has been astounding. For the last few projects, including the current 'reclaimed shed rebuild' (8 x 4 shiplap found laying on my neighbours front lawn) I have aquired most of the basic materials from ebay, up to a year b4 actually using them, and at massive savings over the woodyards.

Hope this helps, and good luck whatever your decision.

Roy

Mark,

Also, don't forget to include materials for a 'jig' for making the panels. A sheet of shuttering plywood and some 3x2 is all you need for that. You can then build each section in the jig; laid flat either on trestles or on the deck, safe in the knowledge they will all be the same size.

John

PS.. Roy...
Murray isn't the 'mint' product for me either!

Sod`s law dictates you will sell your house as you drive in the last nail of your new shed, but you wont know for definite until you start the build (hammer)

I found a timber yard giving a genuine 24% discount on treated timber the other week, they thought I was a tradesman :wink:

So building your own shed can be a saving otherwise proprietary sheds can be just as cheap if you do not get that discount.

(I've been fencing lately :cry: )

Doug B":2s003qe7 said:
Sod`s law dictates you will sell your house as you drive in the last nail of your new shed, but you wont know for definite until you start the build (hammer)

That would be good! I'm frustrated with waiting and need a new project to get stuck in to.

There are quite a few buiders merchants around here (7 companies I can think of) so I'll calculate what I need then ring round for the best deal.

Out of interest - one builders merchant, Hancock and Brown sells ready machined oak: £5.40/m for 6x1. Is this a good price because I haven't a clue.

Thanks,
Mark

Times that by 8 is approx. 12 feet of 12 x 1 which would be a cubic foot. (I am old-fashioned, I fear) and yes, I suppose £43.20 per cubic foot, if it's reasonable stuff, isn't bad. But it can be had for less, if you have the means to mill it yourself.

HTH
John

Thanks John

Unfortunately I don't have a means of resawing and planing rough planks economically, apart from using my DIY jigsaw table and power/hand planes which would take a long time because I'm rubbish with planes (my excuse is that I need more practice!)

Mark

mark aspin":2g1bd56u said:
Thanks John

I'm rubbish with planes (my excuse is that I need more practice!)

Mark

That's got to be true, because indeed it does take practice! (I'm not saying how much, mind! :lol: )
regards
John

I'm starting to have second thoughts about replacing my current shed now due to the cost and proximity to winter. I want to replace it but I think it's foolish to spend a lot of money on a shed now and so just make do and mend what I already have, so........

How could I insulate a metal shed??!! :-" :roll:

Mark

devonwoody":cz70sq13 said:
Leave the door open, honest :wink:

With my tools inside?? :shock: I am slightly paranoid about keeping it locked as I've heard tales of gypsies prowling around at night!

How big would the air gap have to be between the insulation/studs and the metal skin?

Thanks,
Mark

Back