shed advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to embark on my new shed (moved house).

I would like a concrete pad but I'm on a very strict budget. I've thought about a timber base built off a layer of 3x4 flags but would prefer the look of brick (I have spare bricks).

The shed will only be 9 feet by 9 feet, would it be fine to pour a 6 inch x 6 inch found for the bricks then infill with flags and mortar them in? I have a pallet full of small flags which can be used.

The ground is very well compacted.

Picture of the area (haven't drawn in the infill with flags)

Capture.gif

It most certainly would, the fact is, most would place a joisted floor frame on some concrete lintels/paving slab piers. The only thing you must do, is provide good ventilation to the timber floors underside, either via air brick incorporation or missing the odd mortar section under part of a brick (you can tack/glue some insect mesh on the inside of these) this will prevent any moisture build up and poss subsequent rot/decay...bosshogg :)

I would be filling the cavity in the middle with flags and mortar (till around 50mm from the top of the last brick course) then putting in a DPM (DPC across top of bricks and taped to DPM) putting down a layer of foam insulation and then board direct onto that?

Don't see any need to vent if its solid?

It might just be the drawing, but is your proposed base really close to another building?

If your new shed is to be "free standing" have you considered ventilation/maintenance gap? Too close might make the other building damp.

Chris

Its a very small garden so I'm trying to make the best use of space. I'm yet to sort out the 'gap' issue.

Its my garden wall its up against (just one wall) the other sides a large wooden gate we've just made (I'm rubbish in sketchup).

Latest posts

Back