Shed advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steadyeddie

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a new 12 x 6 shed to house equipment for woodturning (garage space getting a bit too cluttered). I'm after advice regarding insulation. I've heard that if not done correctly, it can cause problems instead of curing them. If it's best to insulate (warmth, noise etc) what's the ideal product to use. Thanks in advance, Dave

Dave,
The wooden workshop I am buying has a breathable fabric on the inner walls to protect against condensation and the guy from the company making said building advised that on no account use polystyrene for insulation but to use loft insulation material. I have no idea what the fabric is unfortunately.
The best price I found for the loft insulation and plywood for the lining was builderdepot.co.uk

Dave

Dave Brookes":2ae32df4 said:
Dave,
The wooden workshop I am buying has a breathable fabric on the inner walls to protect against condensation and the guy from the company making said building advised that on no account use polystyrene for insulation but to use loft insulation material. I have no idea what the fabric is unfortunately.
The best price I found for the loft insulation and plywood for the lining was builderdepot.co.uk

Dave
I don't understand why he would say that. Loft insulation is intended for lofts not walls, best solution imo is polystyrene or cellotex with breathable membrane and an air gap.

Bob

Knauf earthwool slabs would do the job. Polystyrene is a fire risk and cellotex is expensive, but has a higher insulation value, so worth the extra wonga if you want to shell out for it.

Lons":10bk3bii said:
........I don't understand why he would say that. Loft insulation is intended for lofts not walls......

Not so. It has a BBA certificate and manufacturer's instructions for use in walls. Mineral wool ("Rockwool"/ fibreglass) is perfectly suitable for walls.

To the OP: look up my "how to build a shed" thread, from the link below. Your answers are all there (albeit, I wouldn't start with a bought shed).

MikeG.":2rfnuz6k said:
Lons":2rfnuz6k said:
........I don't understand why he would say that. Loft insulation is intended for lofts not walls......

Not so. It has a BBA certificate and manufacturer's instructions for use in walls. Mineral wool ("Rockwool"/ fibreglass) is perfectly suitable for walls.

To the OP: look up my "how to build a shed" thread, from the link below. Your answers are all there (albeit, I wouldn't start with a bought shed).

Hmm. Interesting Mike things must have changed in recent years, it's not so long ago that using it in cavity walls would have failed building regs, cavity bats which are a denser form sold in slabs was the recommended materlal and what we always used. I have a mate who's a B.I., I'll get updated on his views next time I see him.
I guess that the bigger suppliers are just making extra money by offering specific types for individual applications if common or garden loft insulation can be used for everything. :)

As an aside to that, we removed insulation from an extension we demolished where loft insulation had been used and water had been leaking in through the roof, the state of it had to be seen to be believed, sodden wet it had separated into a compressed mass. It was a long time ago so I guess it has improved. I used to hate using the stuff, itched for days after but that was what the apprentices were there for was it not. :lol: " Get through that loft hatch son!"

cheers
Bob

Back