Shaving brushes finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
I've turned a shaving brush out of apple wood.

I have no idea what to use to finish it with.

I'd like to get a gloss finish and have a recollection of the method of submerging pieces in oil for 24h
Hours bringing out and buffing then repeating to get a really high gloss and durable finish.

Is this the same approach I can use for the handles?

Any suggestions as to what (oil?) To use to enhance the grain buy avoid the urine yellow colouring.

Thanks.

I should elobrate.
Its an old pen turners trick and it wpupd ve pretty good here too.
Plenty of how to on the youtube

I’d use melamine from Chestnut products. Liquid or aerosol. I use it for finishing pestles. Cut it back between coats (microfine YG is ideal for this) and you can get a great gloss.

Second Chestnut melamine lacquer.
Not turned a shaving brush handle but used some on a kitchen knife handle a couple of months ago and it seems to be surviving.

As always thanks for the tips.

Handles are just for feel at the moment. Perfecting the shape and my turning skills.

I've had a go with superglue and It's a bit tricky. I'll sort some pics in a while.

Depending on what your plans are, I would suggest using either a plastic or a resin stabilised blank on these. They are in a fairly unique environment, they will get wet in use, then sit in a humid environment. CA, or a thick lacquer may work but I wouldn't risk Danish oil.

I did a couple- one for myself and a gift- from cactus juice stabilized blanks and they turned out great.

Can I ask - how long for melamine lacquer to dry? And how many coats?
For drying, melamine is dry in minutes. However, after it dries it continues to cure (polymerises I think) which takes a week. That’s why it’s suitable for the job.
For numbers of coats, two will do, but I tend to cut it back a lot and use 4 or 6 coats.
Another alternative finish is a wood wax oil such as Osmo 1101. Less shiny, but will penetrate the timber more.
Chestnut Products have a newsletter. Some info on melamine here Newsletter

Some of the old split cane rod makers used to impregnate the cane with resin, under pressure I believe, this made the cane impervious to water which is just what’s needed here. I don’t know what the resin was but there are a couple of chaps still around that I can ask for information.
As a matter of interest where do you get the Badger hair bristles from? Lots on the “auction site” but what quality??

Tru Oil will get you to a high gloss finish. On a warm day you can apply multiple coats quickly and easily. It really is a doddle. Being gun stock it will stand up well to bathroom I would imagine. Worth looking into at least.

I’m not a fan of superglue I’ve finished many pens with it & it gives a very gloss finish but I’m not sure how well it would hold up on a shaving brush handle I’d have thought you’d be better of with something like Rustins plastic coating https://www.rustins.ltd/images/files/brochures/InfoSheet-20.pdf

Having used it multiple times I can say Rustins plastic coat is VERY finicky about what it can be used on - ANY trace of any contaminant, whether it be yorkshire grit or any other polishing compound, finish or basically anything and it'll happily fisheye, orange peel or do anything BUT give you a smooth flat finish.

Back