Shattering bandsaw blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limburger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a bandsaw in my collection and love the machine. But resently I bought a new sawblade for it with 10 teeth per inch. I had 14 TPI but it was so fine, a small piece of metal took ages. So I thought lets get 10 TPI since a mate of mine has bandsaw wich is a bit smaller and also has arround 10TPI.

I bought the accact size and lenght than the original Hitachi one but I can't get rit of the shattering. See video, I cant set the guide close to each other. I adjusted the tension but that didnt make any diffrence. What am I over seeing?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is shattering near the end of the cut the teeth are too big for the pressure you are using.
14 tpi is a good all round size. 10 pi is more for 20-60mm thick stuff.
just try reducing the pressure on the blade. Also cut something much thicker. see how it goes.
photo shows Cut with 14tpi (steel 20mm thick)

Attachments

• P1030790.JPG
    P1030790.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 15
If it is shattering near the end of the cut the teeth are too big for the pressure you are using.
14 tpi is a good all round size. 10 pi is more for 20-60mm thick stuff.
just try reducing the pressure on the blade. Also cut something much thicker. see how it goes.
photo shows Cut with 14tpi (steel 20mm thick)

Thx for the reply, yeah I thought 14tpi would be a good choice for my application. I had the pressure all the way reduced, im out of adjusting now. I will make a block to reduce it even more and update you on that when I have done that.

Maybe you mean "chattering"?
Apart from that, I have no advice.
English is not my first language so I dont know every word.

Thx for the reply, yeah I thought 14tpi would be a good choice for my application. I had the pressure all the way reduced, im out of adjusting now. I will make a block to reduce it even more and update you on that when I have done that.

English is not my first language so I dont know every word.

if it is easy for you to get one why not try a finer blade 20-26 tpi ? Failing that if possible put some steel bar say 1/2" square at the beginning of the cut so that the thick piece of steel is still supporting the blade as it finishes cutting the thin piece. This assumes the blade pivots, so support the blade away from and not near to the pivot point.

Back