Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the scary sharp method using wet&dry paper and sometimes a oilstone.

Heres a link:http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

I use a grinder if i need to (can get a bit rough on site), normally I just use a set of diamond stones that I got :D , One problem with these i found
is that I can`t do my small chisle as it gose into the holes in the stone :(
Mick B

I just wondered if anybody out there uses the Jim Kinkshott method of sharpening. You know, five liquid nitrogen cooled grinders of different grades, followed by a coarse of twenty waterstones, finishing off with three different grades of stropping (OK. I may of exagerated a bit). If you do, what's the point and when do you find time to use the tools on wood.
In case you wondered, I use a high speed grinder for heavy stuff, and a fine dimond stone, without a honing guide (not a dmt, but an eze-lap, far superior, at a third of the price) for everything else.

Cheers
Doughnut

So it was just a troll then? (As I believe they're called) Oh nice. Thanks. So you were just wanting someone to step up so you could tell them how stupid they are? How friendly.

FYI, Eze-lap are widely regarded as far inferior. If you wanted to name drop a fancy diamond stone you should have chosen the Norton ones. Also, if you are going to have a go at a highly respected exponent of hand tool use you might at least have the courtesy to get his name right. It's Kingshott.

Cheers, Jester
Somewhat less than impressed

P.S. Sorry if this is out of line, Charley. Feel free to pull it if you want.

Jester
Sorry if I offended you, and no it wasn't a troll (whatever they are).
I wanted someone to put across their view of complex sharpening arangements and justify their use. I wasn't out just to slate someone.

Ezelap inferior? explain!

As for Kingshott, (appologies for the typing error), I have the greatest respect for the bloke, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with all his working practices.

Doughnut
(not too pleased about an unwarrented slating)

Dunno about unwarranted, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I forget the particulars, but I believe it to be something to do with the mono/poly-crystalline difference.

Cheers, Jester

Jester

Do Norton have a website or any other literature available?
I've used an eze-lap daily for three years, and it still gets hairs jumping from my arm in a few passes (of the stone that is, not my arm). If a norton can top that, then I am impressed.

Just a quick note to eze-lap users. I find they are more efficient when used with a fine oil rater than water, plus the oil doesn't send your tools rusty like water does. I found this to be the main problem with japanese waterstones, as well as the fact that they are soft and wear quickly. Not such a problem if they are to be used in the workshop all the time and you have a means of flattening them, but its a real pain in the buttocks when you are out on site. There is nothing more anoying than trying to mortice hinges with a domed chisel.

Cheers
Doughnut

Ayup All

Am I missing Something?
What is the scarey sharp method?

Cheers
Doughnut

Back