Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people give up turning because of sharpening. You don't sharpen lathe tools weekly more like hourly.
I have Sorby Pro Edge which is expensive but best thing I ever bought It takes seconds to touch up once you get profile right.
Bin there dunnit sold my Pro Edge. Sanding disc which came with my lathe, on headstock, does it better and costs F.A.

You make them last an hour? Really? :LOL:
Exactly. Has to be a little and often - which is one good reason for doing them freehand on an oil stone - just a little dab every few minutes, like sharpening a pencil when you are drawing a lot. After a while you hardly notice you are doing it. Or sanding disc on outboard end if more work is needed.

My bet is five pages before Metal Mickey shuts it down.
It's a lot better than it was!
I used to gets death threats when I mentioned rounded bevels (well it felt like it) but little by little these things are becoming normalised. Again, that is, they always were!
Sharpening chisels—forget weaker micro bevels - Paul Sellers' Blog
Sensible Sellers has got there but he's still effin about with those expensive and unnecessary diamond stones! He still has some way to go!
PS bin there dunnit again - I bought the same EZElap set (£200 ish o_O ) but realised they were really poor value for money and sold them on. Maybe Sellers bought them?

Last edited:
Jigs aren't all bad - I quite rate this early design-

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 19.56.36.png

It'll help a beginner hit 30 or 25º and after a few goes he can do it visually without the jig.
Later ones get problematic and make life increasingly difficult. Each new improved design is worse than the previous one.

Last edited:
Oh go on I’ll bite and put my tuppence in. Someone earlier called sharpening a gateway skill and I quite like that as it is a skill you have to master.

For virtually all my skills I’ve learnt them in person with an instructor. They will pick you up on your errors and answer any questions you have.

I think many woodworkers are self taught, perhaps self guessed, from books or the internet. Knowing how to hold a plane blade to sharpen freehand with a couple of strokes is IMHO tough to learn from these sources. It‘s easier to get consistent results from a jig/guide that you can routinely place a blade in at a fixed position then repeat a set of predefined actions on a set of flat surfaces of different grits.

In my early woodworking this consistency was priceless, and still is on occasion. It helped me learn what a sharp edge felt like in use and to recognise when I got sharpening wrong. It meant I could take a knackered plane blade and bring it back into use.

After a while I began to recognise a good edge at the correct angle and found that I could use a simpler quicker approach to sharpening by hand/feel. However when I screw up an edge I still fall back to a guide to get it back in shape. I find over the years I use the guide less and less perhaps one day I’ll loose it permanently in one of my drawers or doom.

I think sharpening threads can become argumentative as people often end up in two camps with their sharpening journey. Those who have found hand sharpening nirvana and ditched their guides want to help others convert sooner and avoid the expense/pain of any wasted time. People who just can’t get to grips with hand sharpening (see what I did there :) ) cannot believe it’s possible to get effective results without a jig and want to help others avoid the painful hours they spent pre jig.

It can all be a bit of a religious experience.

Fitz.

I don't understand the difficulty. Don't you get your man to do it for you ?:rolleyes:

Oh go on I’ll bite and put my tuppence in. Someone earlier called sharpening a gateway skill and I quite like that as it is a skill you have to master.
Yes but you have to start doing it and give it a few goes before you buy a jig - or you'll never crack it!
20 minutes or so, good if you have someone showing you how.

I finally bought a Trend 300/1000 diamond stone/hone(which kit truely was a revelation to use), plus the recommended stropping kit.
I only sharpen a few chisels, a plane and a home made scrapers recently, but I feel I get them sharp enough for my needs with this combo. I do it by eye, feel and judgement. I am in no way a perfectionist but if the tool cuts end grain hardwood cleanly it is sharp enough for me. I also sharpen a chainsaw using my eye and the basic wee file guide. This also works most acceptably.
Nuff said.

Well this is the point I will unsubscribe from this thread as nothing new will be allowed to come of it.

01000111 01101111 01101111 01100100 01100010 01111001 01100101 00101110

Pete

One would think that as description of the method a person uses would be enough leaving the user to decide which way they would like to go. There are however people that believe they know everything and their way is the only way. That my way or the highway thinking makes them get nasty and constantly push, nit pick, fight, scratch (with their perfectly sharpened claws 🙄) and beat the dead horse proving they are the best and everyone else is an silly person for doing what works for them. The childish intolerance is what makes sharpening threads such a #### show. Sad.

Pete
Could not have said it any better than that.
Regards
John

From the way people go on about sharpening it seems that sharpening is becoming a competitive sport. Welcome to the sharpening Olympiad of 2023 fellow woodworkers. It is a bit like fly casting competitions, all very well in itself but does not catch any fish.

Perhaps our sharpening enthusiasts are merely trying to justify their vast expense on exotic means of getting a fine edge - mainly to shave one’s forearms it seems.

In reality, basic blade and chisel sharpening is something that was done routinely and quickly by the woodworking trades in previous decades and in previous centuries without much theorising or loss of valuable working time.
When it was just 'part of the job'. when it's (not) part of the fun, a different tale. My way or nothing seems common (see previous comments) is the spoiler. Perhaps this is saying "I've learned the hard way, you must do the same".
Find something rough and abrade the edge till sharp is the basis. It works, but how well is another story.

From the way people go on about sharpening it seems that sharpening is becoming a competitive sport. Welcome to the sharpening Olympiad of 2023.

Well in Japan they kind of do have a sharpening/ plane setup contest. They try to shave a perfect shaving from a long beam, not sure the actual victory criteria, whether the thinner shaving wins or the most consistent etc. It's quite fun to watch.

Ollie

Is there anything new?
Well this is the point I will unsubscribe from this thread as nothing new will be allowed to come of it.

01000111 01101111 01101111 01100100 01100010 01111001 01100101 00101110

Pete
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100001 01100011 01101011 00100001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back