Sharpening....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A basic gouge sharpening jig for £34 as used by myself & at least one professional turner on this forum
- Gouge chisel sharpening tool for woodturning,gouge+fingernail=2 jigs 8944717301833 | eBay

I agree with this. I bought this recently, largely after seeing M. Saban Smith using one on youtube. It's really nice to be able to take ~20 seconds to freshen up the bowl gouge.

I'm sure I'll end up with a ProEdge or something one day, but I already had a bench grinder, and all the sharpening systems plus jigs are eye-wateringly expensive.

Slow grinder and sorby jig has done me for the past 20 yearsView attachment 94219View attachment 94220
Hi Lazirus, looks like the same grinder I have. I inherited it and hadn’t realised it is a slow grinder. It is currently fitted with O’Donnell tool rests but I am planning to make a block to hold a Tormek tool rest bar so I can use Tormek jigs on it rather than pay out for a Tormek BGM100. I see you have a different support arrangement for Tormek jigs. What is it please?

I agree with this. I bought this recently, largely after seeing M. Saban Smith using one on youtube. It's really nice to be able to take ~20 seconds to freshen up the bowl gouge.

I'm sure I'll end up with a ProEdge or something one day, but I already had a bench grinder, and all the sharpening systems plus jigs are eye-wateringly expensive.

I have been using one of those, (with the skew attachment} after seeing it on the M.S.S channel a few years ago. I have learned a lot from Martin and was planning a visit to him before the war started.
I upgraded to a CBN wheel and am very happy with it all.

Hi Lazirus, looks like the same grinder I have. I inherited it and hadn’t realised it is a slow grinder. It is currently fitted with O’Donnell tool rests but I am planning to make a block to hold a Tormek tool rest bar so I can use Tormek jigs on it rather than pay out for a Tormek BGM100. I see you have a different support arrangement for Tormek jigs. What is it please?
I use the Sorby system, works for me

Back