Sharpening....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

westwardho

Established Member
Reaction score
A basic gouge sharpening jig for £34 as used by myself & at least one professional turner on this forum
- Gouge chisel sharpening tool for woodturning,gouge+fingernail=2 jigs 8944717301833 | eBay

I agree with this. I bought this recently, largely after seeing M. Saban Smith using one on youtube. It's really nice to be able to take ~20 seconds to freshen up the bowl gouge.

I'm sure I'll end up with a ProEdge or something one day, but I already had a bench grinder, and all the sharpening systems plus jigs are eye-wateringly expensive.

HamsterJam

Established Member
Reaction score
Slow grinder and sorby jig has done me for the past 20 yearsView attachment 94219 View attachment 94220
Hi Lazirus, looks like the same grinder I have. I inherited it and hadn’t realised it is a slow grinder. It is currently fitted with O’Donnell tool rests but I am planning to make a block to hold a Tormek tool rest bar so I can use Tormek jigs on it rather than pay out for a Tormek BGM100. I see you have a different support arrangement for Tormek jigs. What is it please?

pryere

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. I bought this recently, largely after seeing M. Saban Smith using one on youtube. It's really nice to be able to take ~20 seconds to freshen up the bowl gouge.

I'm sure I'll end up with a ProEdge or something one day, but I already had a bench grinder, and all the sharpening systems plus jigs are eye-wateringly expensive.

I have been using one of those, (with the skew attachment} after seeing it on the M.S.S channel a few years ago. I have learned a lot from Martin and was planning a visit to him before the war started.
I upgraded to a CBN wheel and am very happy with it all.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Lazirus, looks like the same grinder I have. I inherited it and hadn’t realised it is a slow grinder. It is currently fitted with O’Donnell tool rests but I am planning to make a block to hold a Tormek tool rest bar so I can use Tormek jigs on it rather than pay out for a Tormek BGM100. I see you have a different support arrangement for Tormek jigs. What is it please?
I use the Sorby system, works for me