Sharpening with diamond paste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blades would most likely be made in Taiwan

Quality is a product of process and QC, not country.

I will mention here that Hock's bench plane blades are made in France, which I'm sure made for some "interesting" times, a coupla' years back.

BugBear

The Rutland's catalogue came today. Look what they've newly added to their range.

My timing is exquisite as usual. ](*,) But it'll be no good, right? Cheap Chiwanese stuff and all that. Yeah, that's right. Sigh. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Humor? What's humor? I was never taught that in school (actually, I think they tried to beat it outta me).

Hey, Alf. That looks like the same kit Woodcraft sells over here. I've known two people who bought and both, at least intially, reported it worked fine.

Don't know though. I'll try to find them out today.

(Yep, George Burns. George and Gracie. What timing! Ah, old comedies. Don't make 'em like that anymore!)

MikeW":vblm54uq said:
Hey, Alf. That looks like the same kit Woodcraft sells over here. I've known two people who bought and both, at least intially, reported it worked fine.
Mike, you're doing it again! :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Interesting looking kit. I assume that since they provide "lapping fluid" that the pastes must be oil based. I wonder if the oil based paste works better on MDF maybe it doesn't soak in as much.

Wendell

Alf":286d5cqp said:
MikeW":286d5cqp said:
Mike, you're doing it again! :roll: :lol:
Cheers, Alf
:twisted: (rubbing hands in glee) "It's all part of my evil plan to confound and confuse." :twisted:

MikeW, who is now going back to doing cad work today--talk about evil!

Alf":2rhzldtd said:
Now, now, Roger; I said "Seems like". [-X D'you know I actually went back and edited that in before I posted because I just knew someone would query it. :lol: Anyway, my 'pologies for that and a difference in geographical approach; let us stand together in our irrationalisms, if such they be. :D

Wendell, well that's torn it then. No jointer plane to review now.* #-o

Cheers, Alf

*For the hard of humour, that's a joke. At least I hope so...**

** That was another one. Wasn't it George Burns who used to puff on a cigar to indicate he'd told a joke? I can see where he might have felt the need... :-k :lol:

My apologies, Alf. :oops: I was trying to be humorous (Brit spelling since I'm in apology mode :lol: ) as well. I thought the smiley would convey that. I took no offense and I sure didn't mean to give any. I just meant to say that I share many of your preferences so they don't seem to be geographical or gender specific.

bugbear":37kffi21 said:
Blades would most likely be made in Taiwan

Quality is a product of process and QC, not country.
BugBear

I agree. I would be more intested in the quality of the steel and heat treatment.

I wonder how much faster the .5 micron diamond paste cuts vs. the green compound that Lee Valley sells which is also .5 micron? I really like the polish the green compound puts on my blades.

Ed :?:

Oh dear, I seem doomed to be at cross-purposes with everyone at the moment. Roger, I was kidding too. #-o

Well part 1 of the diamond compound has arrived. And with the idiosyncratic approach that is me when I go shopping, that means I have coarsest - 45 micron - and the finest - 0.25 micron, and nothing in between. Inexplicably that's what I ordered and I'm sure I'd decided on 0.5. :-s I dread to think what I've gone and ordered from the other place now - 90 and 0.1?! #-o (I checked - 6 and 14. There may be hope for me yet...)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":17ujzv6k said:
Oh dear, I seem doomed to be at cross-purposes with everyone at the moment. Roger, I was kidding too. #-o
Alf,

See what happens when you DON'T use waterstones ! Life could be so easy.... just come over to the dark side. 8)

Alf,

No I didn't win but there's always Saturday. You're still top of my non-family gift list.

Come on in the water's lovely. Just try it once more. You know you can go back whenever you want... 8)

Alf":1peor2tb said:
Waterstones. Oh, I've thought about trying them again many a time and oft, but they're so messy.

I have used 'em for about 5 years and don't find them particualrly messy. What little mess there is after a sharpening session, I simply wipe up with a sheet of kitchen towel

Then there's the whole flattening thing which I have no patience for,

You jest!! 15 seconds maximum on a piece of 120 grit sandpaper on a flat surface!!!! I have used MDF, kitchen worktop and a surface plate at various times and all worked fine. I attach the sandpaper using that 3M spray mount adhesive

the danger of frost in the winter,

WHAT????? Sorry Alf, but this takes the biscuit :roll: :roll: I take my 240 or 1000 grit stones and soak for 10 minutes before use - as recommended by the manufacturer and many authors.
I NEVER soak my 6000 grit as you only need to spray it with a mist of water.

After sharpening, I dry on kitchen towel and store in a drawer in the garage

it's this flaming A2 steel. I'd happily stick with HCS and be happy, given the choice.

I sharpen A2 blades (all of my 'users' have A2 blades) in a couple of minutes without fuss or problem

you need some decent waterstones and forget about this soaking for all eternity lark. I got mine from Dieter Schmidt about 5 years ago and still use those same ones today

Tony":k93uxtz2 said:
Snip snip...you need some decent waterstones and forget about this soaking for all eternity lark. I got mine from Dieter Schmidt about 5 years ago and still use those same ones today
If and when Alf ever wants to go down the Shapton road I happen to know someone that, for Alf only :), would be able to get them for a one time buy of 45% off, shipped from Shapton directly.

Please note...this in no way is to be interpreted as goading Alf into something she does not want to do (at this time :)).

But the offer will probably stand for a time.

MikeW
Very happy using the colored mud :lol:

Tony, I don't need some decent waterstones. I don't need any waterstones at all. I don't like them. It's right up there with your irrational bias against bevel-up planes... :p

Mike, it's no use appealing to my frugal nature, you sly fellow. [-X :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":21nllx0b said:
It's not just me; where's Chris when you need him...?

A thousand apologies dear lady - I took a week off to visit cousins in sunny Scotland. I'm actually rather glad I wasn't here feeling compelled to contribute to this thread, I reckon arguments about sharpening are even more of a thicket than dado heads :lol: and sitting in the sun on the Royal Mile with a cool beer beats both any time!

Back