Sharpening with diamond paste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is. Well gonna try, anyway. The other advantage, I believe, is that the diamonds stay "fresh" and faster cutting if they're loose in a paste, which is periodically replaced as well, of course. In the stone they bed down quite quickly and become, well, rounded I suppose. I think it may also be a cheaper option, but I'm not sure. I currently use a coarse/fine Duosharp; fine before the oilstone and coarse for back flattening (which, it dawns on me, solves the potential "missing grit" problem. Stoopid me #-o ), but the step from the fine to the oilstone is taking too long, and back flattening has always been too tedious. To be honest I'm really taking a step in the dark on this one, so I'll just have to wait and see. I suppose if the worst comes to the worst there's that Icebear waterstone beginner's set from Axminster... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3g0x99hm said:
MDF soaked in Danish Oil?! Ooo, that's a new one on me. Hmm, another thing to try it seems.

Waterstones. Oh, I've thought about trying them again many a time and oft, but they're so messy. Then there's the whole flattening thing which I have no patience for, the danger of frost in the winter, the whole water on tools issue. Too many prejudices against, I'm afraid. It's not the oilstone that's the problem, it's this flaming A2 steel. I'd happily stick with HCS and be happy, given the choice.

And before you ask, yes, I'm still living in the cave and it's re-heated Sabre-tooth Tiger for tea again tonight... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

And the clan loves its matriarch! :lol:
Without heat or water in my current shop, waterstones are not practical. I have a beautiful, expensive set of Arkansas stones but they cut too slowly. Brent Beach's version of Scary Sharp works well for me. The 3M micron abrasive sheets will cut A2 very nicely.

Roger Nixon":128myqet said:
The 3M micron abrasive sheets will cut A2 very nicely.

Maybe I should have tried the 3M film sheet. I went exploring other sharpening systems when I ran into A2 blades. Regular wet-dry sand paper took a really long time to put a good edge on A2.

I probably didn't give waterstones a fair chance, but I really don't like the flattening and the mess. I think I am going to stick it out with diamond paste for a while. Since I still consider myself to be a novice sharpener, I look forward to hearing Alf's comments on sharpening with diamond paste.

Wendell

Wendell":wordof3x said:
I look forward to hearing Alf's comments on sharpening with diamond paste.
Don't hold your breath. Just heard from the suppliers I ordered from: "Oh the website's all wrong, that's wholesale, not in stock, etc". In short, twice the price and wait for a month. I'm looking elsewhere, but already I'm revising the "may also be cheaper" idea... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3bsgtfzm said:
(snip)
Failing that, I wonder if there's any chance of getting L-V to offer a HCS blade option...? :-k

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf -

Could do it tomorrow, if Country of Origin isn't an issue... Blades would most likely be made in Taiwan....

Think you can get past that (and I don't have any problems with it)??

Cheers -

Rob
(hangin' at civilised board today....where Alf isn't seen as a shill.. :shock: )

Ya know, it all seems such an irrational dislike.

Alf, how about I send you a Shapton 2000 grit stone. It just takes a little misting. Not much fuss. I just use a little misting bottle.

I would think the diamond stone at the lower grit followed by the 2000 Shapton followed by your normal oil stone for final hone would be both quick and meet you needs for A2...

Your diamond stone will do an adequate job of occassional flattening.

Sounds to me like the cost and hassle of the paste is increasing anyway. Then you have the little bits to keep track of. You really should have seperate boards for each of the pastes else you get lower grit contamination...and if you think Shaptons or King waterstones are messy.

Just an offer.

Dammit, Rob, I've just placed the order now! :roll: ](*,) :lol: Well two orders; one place didn't have one grade. Figure it doesn't matter as the grits are kept separate, plus I get to try two different makes of compound. How's this turning into a review, btw? Anyone care to explain? :-k

Anyway...

Well I don't have a problem with Made in Taiwan. Some of my best friends are..., ha-hum, when I say best friends, of course I mean despised tailed demons... 8-[ Just seems to me that I'm not the only neanderthal who still likes carbon steel so it sort of makes sense to offer the option. Not that I'm trying to help you make money in any way, shape or form. :-#

BTW, I've just looked up "shill":
One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
I think I'm more accurately described as an enthusiastic customer and a rarely satisfied gambler.... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Mike, you're the soul of generosity, and I thank you. :D But No Waterstones! =; Irrational? Well probably; blame it on an accident of birth. Viz: being female. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

IF I win the lottery tonight, I'm going to buy you a week with DC.

I'm sure a few days of sharpening-on and regular flattening-of waterstones will cure your phobia. It's a doddle, not terribly messy and gives fabulous edges on A2.

Try it. What have you got to lose but your prejudice ?

Good Surname or what ?":20dbexha said:
For a split second there I thought I was going to get a free trip to Washington...

It's not just me; where's Chris when you need him...? Oh well, in lieu:

I keep reading all this enthusiastic stuff for waterstones and periodically I do get tempted. I fill the stone pond with clean water, I soak my waterstones, flatten them and then I sharpen my blades and then I wonder why I bothered. It is a messy tiresome business and I get the feeling we've all been had..
So you'd better book for two. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2lscwium said:
Good Surname or what ?":2lscwium said:
For a split second there I thought I was going to get a free trip to Washington...
It's not just me; where's Chris when you need him...? Oh well, in lieu:
I keep reading all this enthusiastic stuff for waterstones and periodically I do get tempted. I fill the stone pond with clean water, I soak my waterstones, flatten them and then I sharpen my blades and then I wonder why I bothered. It is a messy tiresome business and I get the feeling we've all been had..
So you'd better book for two. :D
Cheers, Alf
Yeah, yeah :lol:. Those are the "old" lower grit waterstones that are messy, have to soak 'em in a pond that gets all stinky over time. Stones can freeze, etc.

Ok. Tell ya what. I'm gonna post a picture of what it looks like to use Shaptons next to my kitchen sink in a while. My wife is home...if she "allows" me to do it there, there can't be much mess. Trust me :) ...

Must admit-I read the "action" on that "other forum" with shaking head :evil:
Some folk really love a fight, whilst offering nothing postive in return. Alf, I enjoy reading your reviews, comments and flippery. Your reviews are personal, insightful and a good read. Lets face it-you have too many planes! Like a plane seller could "buy" you with yet another one...... :roll:
Keep up the good work-this forum would be a lonely place without you! :D
Cheers
Philly :D

Ooo, nice avatar there, Philly. Subtle yet unmistakable - very classy. :wink: As for the hoo-hah elsewhere, well least said soonest mended.*

Go on then, Mike; convince me I've just bought the wrong something I can ill-afford and that I should have bought the other something instead... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*Today goes from bad to worse. First I'm persecuted by waterstone evangelists and now I'm sounding like my mother. ](*,)

Alf":2gsjlbo2 said:
...Go on then, Mike; convince me I've just bought the wrong something I can ill-afford and that I should have bought the other something instead... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*Today goes from bad to worse. First I'm persecuted by waterstone evangelists and now I'm sounding like my mother. ](*,)
:oops: I really didn't mean it like that. I'm going to go away a sulk in the corner now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry, Mike, I was only kiddin'. Genuinely, I'd be interested to see the difference. Seems like everyone on your side of the Pond's gone crazy about them, but I've not really taken much notice as they're not available over here. And probably because they're waterstones too, of course... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":1ef6z1me said:
Must admit-I read the "action" on that "other forum" with shaking head :evil:
Some folk really love a fight, whilst offering nothing postive in return. Alf, I enjoy reading your reviews, comments and flippery. Your reviews are personal, insightful and a good read. Lets face it-you have too many planes! Like a plane seller could "buy" you with yet another one...... :roll:
Keep up the good work-this forum would be a lonely place without you! :D
Cheers
Philly :D

I thought it was ironic to doubt Alf's integrity. Her review of the new Veritas scrub plane pretty much convinced me that I could live with my ECE wooden scrub plane. So if they some nefarious plan, it back fired, Sorry Rob :D Though I am sure you'll get my money for some other tool that I just can't live without.

Wendell

Alf":2v1spk00 said:
Sorry, Mike, I was only kiddin'. Genuinely, I'd be interested to see the difference. Seems like everyone on your side of the Pond's gone crazy about them, but I've not really taken much notice as they're not available over here. And probably because they're waterstones too, of course... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Ahem. Everyone on Mike's side of the pond? (Actually, Mike's on a whole other pond) IIRC, I wasn't born a girl, either. Despite all that, I agree with you on the subjects of HCS & waterstones. :lol:

Now, now, Roger; I said "Seems like". [-X D'you know I actually went back and edited that in before I posted because I just knew someone would query it. :lol: Anyway, my 'pologies for that and a difference in geographical approach; let us stand together in our irrationalisms, if such they be. :D

Wendell, well that's torn it then. No jointer plane to review now.* #-o

Cheers, Alf

*For the hard of humour, that's a joke. At least I hope so...**

** That was another one. Wasn't it George Burns who used to puff on a cigar to indicate he'd told a joke? I can see where he might have felt the need... :-k :lol:

Latest posts

Back