Sharpening video on youtube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought i'd seen this process somewhere else - it is exactly what Antony Guidice recommends in his book "Seven Essentials of Woodworking".

Good points about raising the blade a few degrees.

How often do you dress the 3x stone Aled?

Karl":3mzkmr42 said:
I thought i'd seen this process somewhere else - it is exactly what Antony Guidice recommends in his book "Seven Essentials of Woodworking".

Good points about raising the blade a few degrees.

How often do you dress the 3x stone Aled?

Wow amazing, I've never even heard of the book but it's good to know that someone else has a similar regieme. Just goes to show that there's no such thing as a new idea.

The 3X stone is somewhat self dressing, in that the blunt particles break away exposing new sharp particles, it probably could do with a going over though just to true up the face, I haven't done it in months, a year maybe.

Regards
Aled

It always struck me as an efficient sharpening method.

I ask about your 3x stone as I have the same stone in my grinder, and it doesn't seem to be cutting as well as it did when new, and I thought that perhaps dressing it was the answer ( I ask as I don't have a dressing stone, so can't just do it).

Cheers

Karl

Does your wheel release it's grit? The bench under my grinder has small particles of grit under that side of the machine. If you're suffering a marked decrease in grinding efficiency you're probably better off giving it a once over with a diamond dresser. Less efficient grinding will result in higher grinding temperatures and will increase the risk of affecting the iron's temper.

Again ARCEurotratde sells a selection - again, no connection, they're just my favourite online shop at the moment :roll:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... d-Dressers

I have a single point dresser, but would advise the multi point as it would be much easier to control the shape of the wheel's face, which incidentally should be slightly convex as opposed to dead flat, this reduces the risk of burning the corners of your irons as you pass them across the wheel - a little tip I picked ages ago which initially came from one of the Sheffield factories, possibly even Ashley Iles.

Cheers
Aled

ali27":2onr10i4 said:
Sharpening on diamond plates is not recommended AFAIK as it kills
the plate. The diamonds get pulled out.
I think we can find more than enough collective experience just amongst the membership here to disprove that one.

It amazes me that anyone would hone with the hollow ground bevel flat on the stone and not raise the heel slightly, which just goes to show there really is nothing "obvious".

Can anyone point me in the right direction ....to get a leather strop or will any leather do ...quite a few on the bay but mostly for cut throat razors ....will they do ?

My leather strop came from a saddlers, it's just a sdandard piece of leather about 8" long by 2.5" wide, but any hard leather will work, an old belt will do just fine.

Aled

Aled Dafis":1nj2jtvu said:
I've never come across a stretching frame before, is it one of those that barbers use to hone cut throat razors?
Here (hopefully) is a composite picture Aled. The "Graduating" Strop. The text on the back of the box is :-

THIS STROP by means of the screw, graduates its elasticity making it more or less elastic at pleasure. It will be found to produce a keen, smooth edge, so great a luxury to every shaver.Its elasticity will prove invaluable to the unskilled operator, as it will prevent his incautiously bearing too hard upon the Razor, and injuring its edge, at the same time enabling him to keep his Razor in perfect order. Strop your Razor first on the RED side, and finish on the Buff. Use the strop after every time of shaving. Should the leather become too relaxed, one turn of the handle, which is attached to the graduating screw, will bring it to it's proper bearing. Spread a little fresh composition on the strop occasionally. If the face of the strop gets dry, a little tallow rubbed on it is the best restorative.

SOFTEN THE BEARD WET BEFORE SHAVING. BOXES OF PASTE, PRICE SIXPENCE AND ONE SHILLING EACH.

The Handle says :- "ENGLISH MAKE" "H.A.G???" "L". One side of the strop itself is marked "Stropping" and the other "Finishing".

I picked it up in a junk shop years ago. Google found me an advert for one from 1898.

I do have an ordinary strop too - so rather than destroy this, I'll stick that one to a bit of wood instead...

Attachments

• compstrop2.jpg
    compstrop2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 783
Interesting. The idea of shaving with a cut throat both intrigues and scares me in equal measure, I may pick one up at the bootsales this summer to see how I get on. I may need a stiff drink before starting though...

Aled

Aled Dafis":187peur2 said:
Interesting. The idea of shaving with a cut throat both intrigues and scares me in equal measure, I may pick one up at the bootsales this summer to see how I get on. I may need a stiff drink before starting though...

Aled

Having seen Mr Depp in the film Aled:

516.jpg

...I don't think I'd bother 8-[ 8-[ :shock: :lol: - Rob

Aled Dafis":2yln2j16 said:
I've just published a video on youtube as to how I go about sharpening plane and chisel irons and thought I'd share it with you.
Convinced. I just ordered a Norton wheel - wich I wanted to do for a long time!
I added a 8*3" arkansas hard translucent, but that is another story..

Cheers Pedder

Super video and elegant in the simplicity of technique Aled....

You are a natural...as you were with plane making...and it's great to see you posting regularly again.

Nice strop WM! I wonder why the pigeon English when it was "made in England"...how strange!

Pedder...I did exactly the same thing...Norton 3X search...then I saw how much and kept that one on the back boiler until after my daughter is safely married! I think that is the single most important element in Aled's process...and indeed that of David C....

A cool running grinding wheel of such quality make a huge difference to the operation...perhaps the difference between success and failure.

Jim

Thanks guys!

Wow, it's great to hear that you guys are getting convinced and ready to try it out, I look forward to your feedback Pedder when you've tried the method a few times and become comfortable with it. The Norton wheel is excellent, I also hesitated for a while at the cost, but am so glad that I took the plunge, it really is a revelation at how quick and how cool it cuts metal.

Cheers
Aled

I use almost the same method now. Except the norton wheel is a lot coarser and i use waterstones. I am so glad that i dropped the jig, it really saves time.

Racers":3rzmyvtp said:
Hi, Aled

You can see the overspray in the video, I am suprised it hasn't caused problems, its probably soaked up by the saw dust :wink:

Pete

Been there, sort of: I cursed a bit the day I spilled old engine oil on the bare bench top. I should have had it well covered, but didn't.

It's only 3/8 beech ply (on a heavier chipboard base), and it wasn't sealed, but I found a good way of dealing with it:

Mop it up first with kitchen paper, then newspaper weighted down. Then finally, to get it out of the grain, I used dry cleaning spray - the liquid that dries into white powder, which you vacuum off.

It worked surprisingly well. Obviously, throughout the process you have to be careful not to spread it any further, but it saved the bench for woodworking.

HTH,

E.

PS: Enjoyed the video Aled, and got quite a few tips from it!

woodbloke":3msnisax said:
Aled Dafis":3msnisax said:

Aled

Having seen Mr Depp in the film Aled:

...I don't think I'd bother 8-[ 8-[ :shock: :lol: - Rob

I shave with a straight razor sometimes, but I have had very little luck in sharpening the 'proper' one I have, so I use the ones that take a half razor blade instead!

You can tell what sort of shaving mood I'm in by how much I scream when I put aftershave on...

Aled Dafis":fcrdc9nj said:
Thanks guys!

Wow, it's great to hear that you guys are getting convinced and ready to try it out, I look forward to your feedback Pedder when you've tried the method a few times and become comfortable with it. The Norton wheel is excellent, I also hesitated for a while at the cost, but am so glad that I took the plunge, it really is a revelation at how quick and how cool it cuts metal.

Cheers
Aled

Hi Aled,

Yesterday I fit the blue wheel to my Elu (UK-reimported) benchgrinder. Great, Great. I allways burned the tools I tried to grind but not this time. It is the perfect wheel for the grinding idiots like me! Thanks a lot for that tip!

Cheers
Pedder

Back