Sharpening Vid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant!

I downloaded it and watched it this morning.

As a new bug when it comes to sharpening turning tools it was an excellent.

Spurred on by this I went and completely reground my new Henry Taylor half inch bowl gouge. Gulp.
I wouldn't have attempted it previously but, as the gentleman on the video showed me how I decided to give it a go.

It was a straight half round and I haven't been getting on well with it so.....
its now raked back at a jaunty angle and is a 100 times better for me. I know now that I should have bought the Superflute version :)

Watched most of it last night - excellent for a newbie like me who was starting to worry about getting angles right etc. Simple pragmatic advise!

Down side to watching it is I now want to spend more cash on a decent stone and dresser! :(

First thing tonight I will be re-grinding most of my tools - wonder how many have done the same thing after watching :lol:

Thanks for posting the link

Dave

Hope you all are not tempted to operate your grinders without the stone guards.
If you had every experienced a wheel exploding you would be cringing all the time you were watching the vid.

I always wear a full face mask - the guards that were fitted to the grinder are next to usless although the body of the grinder only expose about a third of the wheel!

Dave

Daven":3j7k07v1 said:
I always wear a full face mask - the guards that were fitted to the grinder are next to usless although the body of the grinder only expose about a third of the wheel!

Dave

Dave I was not refering to the dust particle guards, the grinder in the picture does not have any wheel casement/containment guards fitted.

They did make a point of saying they were 'left off for clarity' ... but it wasn't stressed very strongly. -- Good point.

Other than that, it seemed to be quite a good presentation, - I thought the lad did his best to dispel some of the mystique behind the black art.

But it is an American site, they seem to have an entirely different attitude to safety compared to us Europeans. It is a very comprehensive podcast though, I've been turning many years and there are still useful points to pick up and see how different people do it.

Johnny B

Back