Sharpening upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dokkodo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a good lathe and plenty of tools, but rarely to feel like im truly in command of whats happening when im at the lathe... so Id like to step up my game and i think getting a better grip on sharpening will help a lot, im hoping investing some money in a better set up will encourage me to invest some time in educating myself a bit better on sharpening angles and techniques and generally make it all more fun and productive.

Just wondering what people recommend, in passing I have previously eyeballed CBN wheels but I only have a couple of pretty standard 6" bench grinders, dont know whether that would be like putting a ferrari wheels on a golf cart. Or perhaps instead a whetstone grinder, the triton seems to be a pretty affordable entry level version of the tormek, accepting many of the same jigs etc...

Just wondering what people already enjoy/might advise, im sure its been discussed to death but i do like a live opinion :)

Thanks!

Popcorn GIFs | Tenor

Sanding disc on outboard end of spindle is brilliant - I got rid of my Sorby Proedge, just no longer needed.
If you are turning on the outboard end you just put a sanding disc inboard.
12" ali disc with velcro attachment good for so many things - even flattening plane blades etc etc

I know i know, the dreaded S word, but it is a sunday after all, everyones got time on their hands...

Oh nice Jacob - that does sound very versatile... that sounds like perhaps i neednt invest in more machines and stuff then. thats a shame.

Being new to woodturning and sharpening I'm keen to see people's opinions here. I'm going to be buying Screwfix own brand bench grinder.

Being new to woodturning and sharpening I'm keen to see people's opinions here. I'm going to be buying Screwfix own brand bench grinder.
If you're going for a basic bench grinder, these are often only suitable for the narrowed stones and unlikely to de able to fit a 40mm wide stone.
I find the wider 40mm fine grit so much easier to keep a good edge on, especially for bowl gouges and swept back grinds, the other end has stock coarse wheel, for when I change a profile or making own scrapers, great for roughing to shape first.

a linisher does all mine at the mo....admitedly free hand.....
but thats how I used to earn a living.....engineer......
will build a better version of the Sorby Proedge....
Cos it's made of rubbish and to a price then sold dramatically overprice....

I went Tormek. All those lovely jigs and things to adjust and wiggle and so on, plus it's like having a little water feature in the workshop.

Don't get the scissor jig though. It works fine, but the scissors make a horrible screaming noise when you sharpen them.

There are loads of ways of sharpening stuff. I'm pretty sure they all work.

The Record Power RSBG 8" can be had for £99.75 on FFX if you use voucher AG9GKIZB today

Put decent wheels (for hss) on your grinder and get a Sorby 447 jig. A disc on a lathe is useful for chisels, plane irons, skews etc. (I use one regularly) but makes hard work of gouges. You grind them, think they're not quite right, grind them again, think they're not quite right ... The amount you remove with a properly set up jig is minuscule, and if you want a perfectly ground tool you will not do it freehand.

Sorby 447 with a slow speed grinder, fast repeatable and accurate, don't go for a wet grinder its way too slow for turning tools, with my set up it is seconds then back to the lathe

Attachments

• Sharpening rig.jpg
    Sharpening rig.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Gouge.jpg
    Gouge.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 46
Sanding disc on outboard end of spindle is brilliant - I got rid of my Sorby Proedge, just no longer needed.
If you are turning on the outboard end you just put a sanding disc inboard.
12" ali disc with velcro attachment good for so many things - even flattening plane blades etc etc
I got a little variable speed end on disc sander from lidl. Have modified it to take 125mm diamond lapping discs by drilling and tapping the end of the shaft.. Best 25odd quid I've spent in a long time, works a treat for HSS tools, and can be used on carbide as well. If you need a particular profile then free hand on a bench grinder is the way for getting the basic shape, but Mr Lidl's tool is great for putting a final finish on the edge.

Sorby 447 with a slow speed grinder, fast repeatable and accurate, don't go for a wet grinder its way too slow for turning tools, with my set up it is seconds then back to the lathe
With the sharpening jigs on my Tormek I'm back on the lathe in seconds as well - I can't sharpen freehand for toffee ! Jigs all the way ...

Going back to Dokkodo’s original post, I wonder whether the money might be better spent on a few lessons with an experienced turner? While sharp tools are essential, not feeling fully ‘in command’ sounds more like technique than tool sharpness. Just a thought.

Going back to Dokkodo’s original post, I wonder whether the money might be better spent on a few lessons with an experienced turner? While sharp tools are essential, not feeling fully ‘in command’ sounds more like technique than tool sharpness. Just a thought.
I agree with this, I was very surprised at how much the piece pulls the gouge into itself, especially the spindle roughing gouge when rounding off.

Certainly not a bad idea Bob! I am totally self taught and I know technique counts for a lot, I can turn things very happily, but probably slowly... when i see videos of people who really know how to use their angles and seem to get where they want to be quickly, cleanly and efficiently, I realise that ain’t me. But I was hoping learning more about the grinds and how they relate to where/how they meet the sections of grain might give me a better insight into which tools to use when and to best effect. It’s only a hobby though and the occasional component at work so hard to find the time

I got a little variable speed end on disc sander from lidl. Have modified it to take 125mm diamond lapping discs by drilling and tapping the end of the shaft.. Best 25odd quid I've spent in a long time, works a treat for HSS tools, and can be used on carbide as well. If you need a particular profile then free hand on a bench grinder is the way for getting the basic shape, but Mr Lidl's tool is great for putting a final finish on the edge.
Sounds like the one I have, but I can only really put a 45 degree grind on my bowl gouges and my (homemade HSS) negative rake scraper. any chance you could let me see how you did that? Cheers, Muddy

Back