Sharpening tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Foweraker":3el6q0fk said:
......grind on this tool was very much like you would expect on a spindle roughing gouge strait across.I have just had a word with the supplier who said this is what is called a traditional grind and that it is up to the turner to create his own grind.I think this is a bit of a cop out and I am waiting to see what the manufacturer 's response is.

I have been turning now for seven years and have never seen anybody that knows anything about tool profiles use anything other than a fingernail grind or long grind on a bowl gouge.........

:shock: You may find this a helpful read.

My main tool is a 3/8 bowl gouge with a long swept back grind and I've got another with a standard grind,I also have a half inch with a swept back profile I could happily knock out bowls with all three but the read linked above explains a bit about how the standard grind can make for better finishing cuts inside a bowl. I find the half inch a bit big for most things other than roughing and the finer cut from the 3/8 better suited to the job.

I have been turning for a number of years and I’m often asked about grinding of tools and angles. If you look at other turner tools including the pro’s you will not find 2 people with exactly the same grind/profile even when jigs are used.

My feeling is that tool grinds are personal and each person grinds them to the profile that works best for them.

Grinding angles are not critical either and you grind the angle that works best for you, bearing in mind that shallow angles (about 30deg) work best for soft woods like pine and steeper angles (about 50deg) work better for hard woods like ebony.

A traditional grind is not ground straight across like a roughing gouge but is sharpened with a bevel of about 45 deg starting with the flute rolled over to the left at about 45 deg and rotated to the right until the flute is at about 45 deg

Most gouges/tools purchased new will need to be ground to a profile and are not suitable to be used straight out of the box.

Morning all

When I read Keith Rowley's book he said to find the grind that suits you. I thought that was a bit of a cop out, but it isn't, it's true IME.

There are as many ways to grind a bowl gouge as there are turners.

There are a few examples here ...

http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml

This video shows 'swept back' and traditional grinds ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOnXssV9rY

Search Youtube for 'sharpening bowl gouges' and you'll find lots of different approaches.

At the end of the day, it's what suits you and what you are doing.

In reply to George's point about supplied grinds, it's probably down to cost. Crown will supply swept back grinds at a slightly higher price.
Record bowl gouges come ground like a roughing gouge. What's the point in grinding a swept back profile if the customer wants a traditional grind? A waste of time for the manufacturer and of steel for the customer, 'cos he'll have to grind it off to get back to a traditional grind.

He's right about the novice though. I would have thought supplying a traditional grind would be better.

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back