Sharpening survey

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've just taken the plunge and ordered a Tormek Wetstone with all the trimmings.

I started out with a 6" grinder and an adjustable platform, moved onto an 8" (can't remember why now - maybe because of its ability to draw the temper even more quickly????).

I've always used the tools straight from the grindstone, and have found them to be sharp enough for most things - although some pine I have used could have done with razor sharp tools.

If the literature is to be believed, I will soon be effortlessly grinding finger nail profiles in seconds, and can replicate exactly the curve I like on the oval skew.

Personally I think grinding tools is the most skillful (and important?) part of turning - after all you can't bodge it with a scraper and lots of sanding.

What do other people use for sharpening?

Don't do turning but use Tormek AND Scary Sharp, depending on mood for chisels and plane irons.

Rgds

Noel

gg,

Good question. I use an 6" grinder with a 25mm red wheel on one side and the original white wheel on the other. A homemade adjustable flat rest a la Keith Rowley on the red, and a Sorby gouge jig, sorry fingernail profiler (sounds a bit of a torture implement calling it that) on the white. The latter is really very effective, and passes my value for money test*. Never had an trouble drawing the temper, simply because I sharpen little and often, so the tool isn't long enough on the grinder. In error I did a hollow grind on my skew and wished I hadn't, so that gets honed on the DMT.

gg":svprlkrf said:
after all you can't bodge it with a scraper and lots of sanding.
Wanna bet? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*You're pleased with the tool and you've managed to forget what hideous price it was. :shock:

Back