Sharpening Surface Planer Blades.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on this forum some good suggestions on the best method of sharpening surface planer blades? I have from time to time improved the edge without removing the blades from the cutter block but have reached the stage where re-sharpening is necessary. How would a professional blade sharpener tackle such a job? How should I tackle it – given a standard size water stone as the only apparatus (plus possible ingenuity from this forum)? The blades in question are from the SIP 6 inch planer and the grinding angle is quoted as being 38 degrees. The blade depth, measured from cutting edge, must not be reduced to less than 21mm. These are small blades, almost impossible to handle on an ordinary sharpening stone. I note that Rutlands Ltd offer the Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener at £29.95 plus postage. I would prefer a cheaper option. All suggestions appreciated.
Fred

On the general subject of sharpening, I've just had a couple of sets of planer blades done - £3.25 + vat per 10" blade, realistic I think, though I've found a firm that will supply new ones @ 60p an inch......they're almost becoming disposables.

Regrind on a 10" tct saw blade 24T + 2 new tips £8 + vat could have bought a new cheapo for only about 60% more.

Bandsaw blades ARE disposable - 112" (1" x 3tpi) £8.25 ea in 6's.

Chris.

Scrums, who was the company that could supply blades for 60p per inch? Are they a specific blade or to fit most machines?

I used to touch up the blades in my conventional surface planer regularly with an oilstone and a slipstone.

We don't do a lot of machining and I could keep a set of HSS blades running for nearly six months, before grinding became necessary. The edge was also sharper and straighter than the ground finish from my saw doctor.

On a complex job like my curly laminated table legs, I would be prepared to touch up the edge as often as two or three times a day. ( Over 60 thin oak laminates to prepare!) The process took about half an hour. I was taught this method over 30 years ago and it was common knowledge for good machinists.

Description on page 39 of book 1.

NB you must have a machine with adjustable out table. I find the
Leitz quick change, highly profiled blades have defeated me, and wish to change my planing machine as a result.

David Charlesworth

Back