Sharpening stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Having previously had a dismal time trying to sharpen even my skew by hand, I stopped short of even trying with my gouges for fear of mullering them completely.
I have just today set up a rig consisting of a new 6" Record grinder and Storme jig.

7b93e100.jpg

All I can say is wow!! For the novice, this is brilliant.
My only chisels are the perform set from Axminster, and I managed to sharpen the skew, scraper and roughing gouge in seconds.
However, when I came to the spindle and bowl gouges, it looks very much as though they come ground with a basic grind which doesn't require use of my versa-grind part of the Storme, i.e. the wings are not swept back, and can be reground exactly just by rolling as you would the roughing gouge.
My question is this.. How as a complete novice do I know what shape to grind them to? Or will I be okay leaving them as they are?
Should I try taking them to someone local like Richard Findley to grind properly, then mirror that shape in future sharpening?

Thanks

Si.

knappers":356aiqdl said:
...... Or will I be okay leaving them as they are?
Should I try taking them to someone local like Richard Findley to grind properly, then mirror that shape in future sharpening?

Si.
The bowl gouge as supplied with straight across grind is usable as is but is more prone to catching if not presented just right because of the high wings.
Taking it along to someone like Richard to put a 'standard' swept back wing on it is a good idea, there is a limitation though if it's the same shallow flute as on earlier sets sold by axminster and others, it is more akin to a spindle gouge in depth than current generation bowl gouges.
If it is, it will limit the options on how much of the wings can be ground back.

See the two images Here

Si, when you set up your grinder did you leave the four rubber pads/feet or remove them.
I read on a post on another forum thay it was advisable to remove these.
I dont know if this is right or wrong....

I am thinking of purchasing this jig over the other similar items out there. Is it 'easy' to do the celtic-grind style of bowl gouge also? It seems that I would be best served ignoring the freehand sharpening route and going for a jig, and as I also have the same grinder as yourself, your comments are very helpful :)

Cheers,
Adam

Back