Sharpening Stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyhenson

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy my first set of sharpening stones, but i'm not sure what to go for. I like the DMT dia-sharps for ease of use, especially onsite sharpening, but i'm not sure what combination of grits to go for and would i need a fine waterstone to polish the edge. I'm open to suggestions for all methods of sharpening. I have a veritas mkII honing guide but all the different types of stones have me confused as which is best. I have a limit of £200 for a decent kit, and would appreciate your views and suggestions. Thanks

jimmyhenson":1g6chexl said:
would i need a fine waterstone to polish the edge.

There are numerous options. I use DMT diamond stones (with oil, not water) and after the extra fine (green) stone, polish on a piece of wood with Autosol and oil, which gives me razor sharp edges

Woodenstrop.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

If you are a beginner I'd just stick to the traditional double sided oil stone. It will do you for a few years, or forever if you want it to. It's essential for site work, whatever else you have in the workshop.
There's been a lot of new stuff about sharpening, only in the last 25 years or so, but it's basically about selling more kit. Your £200 is enough for a lifetime of sharpening if you ignore the b@ll@x!

PS or take a look at Paul Sellers sharpening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ykVzL2VAM
A bit extravagant in terms of kit but still well under your £200.

There is no right and wrong when it comes to sharpening, but here's a video I put on youtube a while ago of how I go about it. I've tried various methods and spent far more than your £200 budget, but have settled on this as the quickest and (for me) the best.

You'll need a cheapo grinder, nice grinding wheel (Norton 3X), a fairly fine diamond stone and a bit of leather and polishing compound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFRJIAOGSJI

Since making this video I've reverted to using the Veritas Green compound as opposed to the diamond paste as it cuts a little faster whilst still giving a fantasic polish.

Cheers
Aled

Aled Dafis":18ox0mg9 said:
There is no right and wrong when it comes to sharpening, but here's a video I put on youtube a while ago of how I go about it. I've tried various methods and spent far more than your £200 budget, but have settled on this as the quickest and (for me) the best.

You'll need a cheapo grinder, nice grinding wheel (Norton 3X), a fairly fine diamond stone and a bit of leather and polishing compound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFRJIAOGSJI

Since making this video I've reverted to using the Veritas Green compound as opposed to the diamond paste as it cuts a little faster whilst still giving a fantasic polish.

Cheers
Aled

That would appear to empirically confirm the various (recent) messages that the LV compound does not act like "0.5 micron", since your video gives the diamond at 1.0 micron.

BugBear

Aled Dafis":2n3cpog4 said:
There is no right and wrong when it comes to sharpening, but here's a video I put on youtube a while ago of how I go about it. I've tried various methods and spent far more than your £200 budget...
Cheers
Aled

Absolutely spot on. There is no one correct way to sharpen and hone and I'm afeard it's a furrow you need to plough! I've used all the methods out there and have settled for the:

small1-8.jpg

...3M films from Workshop Heaven, with a Kell III honing guide (not recommended if you're a newcomer to sharpening)

Set up the required projection in a second with a home made 'projection board'

small5-5.jpg

...and the whole procedure, working down through the grades, is pretty quick.

I've tried waterstones and the locals in Japan:

DSC_0011-1.jpg

..don't even bother with a bench, but for effective use in a 'shop, you ideally need a sink with running water as it's messy! :evil:

Fwiw, the original carborundum oil stones (and yes, I started with them as well) have long been superseded with sharpening regimes that are infinitely superior...you just need to find the right one for you. If you have the opportunity, it makes sense to try out the various options before deciding, maybe at a show or someone's 'shop - Rob

bugbear":323zzdwo said:
That would appear to empirically confirm the various (recent) messages that the LV compound does not act like "0.5 micron", since your video gives the diamond at 1.0 micron.

BugBear

Yes it would. The LV compound is interesting stuff though, it cuts quickly, but I'd argue that it gives as good a polish if not better than the 1micron Diamond paste. So it cuts like say 5micron or coarser but gives at least as good a polish as 1micron... :?

With all the engineers on here, I'd have thought that someone has access to the appropriate kit to have a look close up at this LV stuff and confirm one way or another what it's made up of.

Cheers
Aled

Back