Sharpening stones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedMist

Established Member
Reaction score
Just learning about and considering getting into hand planes, specifically for smoothing. Looking at youtube vids I would need some sharpening stones, one example I have seen is
250 course
600 fine
1200 superfine

where's a good place online to buy these, at reasonable cost, as I say I'm just getting started and don't want to spend too much, thanks :)

This recent thread I started should be of some help RedMist: Your cheapest honing setup? **buying new only**

Here's one way you could go:
a roll of 80-grit paper or cloth for major reshaping or repair work (stuck down to a scrap of MDF);
either another roll of abrasive in a finer grit or a medium diamond plate for in between;
1000-grit diamond plate;
homemade strop.

Total cost should be just over a tenner, and you wouldn't need to buy anything further for a good few years no matter how seriously you get into hand tools.

ED65":12hphx6m said:
*either another roll of abrasive in a finer grit or a medium diamond plate for in between*
*1000-grit diamond plate*

Total cost should be just over a tenner

??!!

These have been discussed a few times in the past and as a result I purchased a set of three Ultex stones from here:
http://www.its.co.uk/Hand-Tools/Sharpening-Tools.htm

They don't appear to have all the grits in individual plates like before but you should be able to get a combination that works. There are other brands that seem very similar and probably work well. Get a strop or make one, and some Veritas honing compound available from Axminster- I believe Silverline do a version as well.

transatlantic":m4nht8og said:
ED65":m4nht8og said:
*either another roll of abrasive in a finer grit or a medium diamond plate for in between*
*1000-grit diamond plate*

Total cost should be just over a tenner
??!!
:?: Price? Extrapolate out from the 1000 diamond plate I linked to in the other thread, everything combined should work out closer to a tenner than to 15 quid.

Back