sharpening smaller blades...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Basic question is.. how's it done..??

When it comes to setting steel to stone, I canna freehand sharpen at all. Consequently the Veritas honing guide has been a lifesaver, however even this has its limitations...

Having just bought the L-N version of the Boggs spoke shave, (awsome tool btw) I reckon it's high time I found what's needed to hold smaller blades. Any suggestions..???

Mike,

Look at the bottom of the instructions linked from this page. You'll find plans for a simple but effective holder; I made one and it works a treat. You may need to tweak the dimensions though.

Cheers, Alf

Bean,

Well I found that one in the instructions with my low angle shave, so kudos to Veritas. Subsequently they brought out a commercial version using magnets, so this DIY one doesn't get mentioned much. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

A trick that I saw somewhere and which has worked for me in the past is to clamp the spokeshave blade in between a regular plane iron and the cap iron then just hone as usual. depending on the cap iron fit, it will clamp the small blade more or less tightly - a bit of masking tape helps in the latter case.

Latest posts

Back