sharpening set up required. need advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm finding I'm doing more turning and using chisels a lot more these days but I haven't got an effective sharpening system. Could anyone recommend one. I use the following items...

Wood turning Gouge, skew point, square point and parting tool.
Standard chisels from 3/8 to 1"

Wood a Sorby sharpening station be worth while? Would it have all the attachments to do all my tools? I could do with purchasing once and not in bits really, easier to get past the financial controller ha ha.

cheers for any help

Sorby pro-edge is brilliant for the tools you list but I wouldn't bother with attachments - it works very well and much faster freehand. It has a tilting table for specific angles, or a simple tool rest bar for freehanding.

A six-inch dry grinder with a white and pink wheel and some form of grinding jig unless you're superb at freehand grinding. I've heard two experts say that freehand grinding is fine for certain tools, but that on some it is virtually impossible to get a consistent edge. The Oneway jig is well thought of. I've got Axi's own (similar) jig which works fine, but I used a Oneway last week and would say it is slightly easier to use. I've also got a very expensive Tormek T7 wet grinder which is excellent to use, but I almost never do for my turning tools, as I have to fill it with water and by the time I've done that and set it up, I could have already sharpened my tool on the dry grinder. That said, the edge and repeat ability on the Tormek are second to none and I always do chisels and knives on it.

Depending on your time/skills/interest combination, there are many plans and design for homemade grinder attachements on various turning forums around the net.

BugBear

Back