sharpening once again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, I gave scary sharp a go, but to have it set up properly it takes up more space than I have free. I want something that is so simple to get to that a chisel can have a quick sharpen when it needs it rather than dread the job of clearing a space, getting everything out and set up etc.

I thought that I would buy a natural whetstone, a belgian blue, arkansas, etc. However, I recalled being given something some years ago, and dug it out tonight. I only had a bit of wd40 to hand, which is probably not ideal, but I will get something like 3 in 1 when I pass somewhere. I tickled the stone up with quick scrub of scotchbrite and gave it a quick spray. I have no idea of what it is- seems softish (although i have no reference) and is blue in colour. Anyway, it works! It might be double sided, There seems to be a difference in colour, but it may be where the line of oil reached. One side is a bit gouged, so may need flattening.

The oil seemed to soak in pretty quickly. Is this normal, or because it hasn't been used for 20 odd years? Does the stone need soaking in oil, wiping off and then a quick drop of something with each use, or is it behaving properly? I like the idea of a double sided stone, if it works, because it takes up so little room!

Cant comment on the oil stone (of whatever sort you have) as I've only tried one a couple of times. I am a fan of diamond 'stones' however, some of which are double sided with different grits - easy to store away and use and fairly 'clean' in use.

Maybe that will be an alternative. Same idea in my mind though- if something isn't inconvenient, it gets used as required.

If you do fancy trying one then get a cheapo 4 sided one from ebay/aldi etc not the same quality as the DMT etc but will give you the general idea for £10 or less.

HTH

marcros":3bwn899w said:
...........stone need soaking in oil, wiping off and then a quick drop of something with each use, or is it behaving properly? I like the idea of a double sided stone, if it works, because it takes up so little room!
Just a good squirt every time you use it - more a flood than a smear, the idea is to keep all the debris afloat - not to let it become a paste. Then wipe it off every time you put it away or it can dry off and leave all the gunge behind. Strong magnet helps keep it clean , and plenty of old rags.
If you are freehanding I wouldn't bother with flattening; a waste of stone and time. Instead, flatten it by using it - work all over the stone to distribute the wear with flatness as a long term ideal, never to be achieved.

Back