Sharpening link

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me some of the best YouTube/Facebook/Instagram/UKW posts for people wanting to learn sharpening of hand tools? They can be questions as well as answers.

Thanks

Nick

There will be plenty on the Paul Sellers channel and website. With his methods, you can sharpen anything you’re likely to encounter.

Beware Youtube - there are obsessives on there who seem to consider the sharpening of tools more of a hobby than whatever the tools are used for. Fine for them, but can be daunting for a newcomer.

400 grit will produce a perfectly usable edge. From there, you’re into diminishing returns, I feel. I go a little further, because it’s simple and quick, and I want to get back to using the tools. 1000 grit then strop.

I await the storm of contention...

Hi Nick great to see you getting back into things and doing, I guess some research for a new magazine? As usual there are loads, some fairly recent. Stumpy nubs has been doing an on/off series you may want to look at, the Woodsmith channel and Nick shabbaz. Toms techniques also has an area that is often forgotten on sharpening drill bits

hth

As someone starting out myself found videos which didn’t make sharpening the hobby more helpful than those that did — Can’t post links yet so you may have to search for these —

Paul Sellers as already suggested.

Richard Maguire (search: the English woodworker/get sharp series) is another good source, this sharpening series is a paid product, I found it good (no relation, I did pay and benefit from it!)

Gid joiner also did a straightforward video recently on sharpening plane irons.

Droogs":2ktdzz2u said:
Stumpy nubs has been doing an on/off series you may want to look at...

hth
I quite like his stuff and approach, but for my euros and particularly with regard to wood mangling, there's precious little on the Toob which has any appeal.

Then again, for stupid money, Ax have a new honing guide which is probably guaranteed to sort out all your sharpening issues. Note the 'probably' :lol: - Rob

Ah, what a shame you no longer get the staff discount!

I guess you'll just have to struggle on without one of those - and so will I! ;)

Hello
Here is a link that may be helpful
your-cheapest-honing-setup-buying-new-only-t102548.html

If you want more information in video format than mentioned, then it would be helpful
to know what tools you need sharpen, what you have already, and your budget.

For me its a toss up between a range of hones from the pace Ed65 mentioned, and bonding them to granite or offcuts of what have you, or buying the Ultex hones half price.
A finer hone or strop will get the job done after that.

A cheap Eclipse knockoff for a fiver will suffice.

There's little difference in methodology using a jig in combination with a hone that will stay flat.
That will get chisels and plane irons dependingly sharp and little to go awry.
David Charesworth would be another good demonstration to watch the use of a honing guide from.

If you have some old hones already and you wish to go freehand, then David Weaver and Bill Carter demonstrate this quite well in some of their video's.
Not tutorials exactly, but more of a demonstration within their videos somewhere.
That would be the best examples in video format that relate to get the end result that I want.

I still use a wee block for sharpening scrapers though.
Seen from Rob Cosman, and is the only thing from him that makes sense to me, (sharpening wise)
as needing all that kit is a huge expensive rabbit hole to go down.

Tom

AndyT":1fkuc1cv said:
Ah, what a shame you no longer get the staff discount!

I guess you'll just have to struggle on without one of those - and so will I! ;)
Indeed, it's much missed Andy!...don't think I would have lashed out on one of those anyway. I reviewed the LN guide when it came out which was still pretty spendy, but it's absolutely useless for Japanese chisels. Beautifully made but nae good for me! - Rob

Personally I prefer books to the tube thingy.
I think Matthew of workshop heaven did a good one.

I find Paul sellars “difficult “ watch, even though I use pretty much the same techniques as him in most instances.

Before anyone who is not aware, embarrasses themselves , it should be pointed out that the OP is an experienced wood worker and past editor of a string of woodworking magazines and author of numerous books on the subject.

This is an answer I make no apology for repeating. It's one of my favourite bits of archive film, not on YouTube but a joy to watch.

It's a 1983 Swiss TV film of the last hand tool makers in Geneva. There's plenty to enjoy even if you can't follow the French.

If you are in a hurry, just skip to 10 minutes 35 seconds in, and watch for the next 60 seconds or so, to see Eric Raggenbass take an old laminated iron, grind it to fit the plane it is to be used in and hone it on an oilstone, ready for use. He does have to slow down a bit, to explain what he is doing, but he is clearly doing something that he has done so many times that his actions flow naturally and economically; no motion is wasted.

If you skip to 19:06 you can see one of his planes in use, showing that he got the results required.

http://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/culture/s ... -bois.html

Back