sharpening jig on ebay. any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been getting by with a poor wooden jig I made some years ago for chisels and plane blades. Now I'm dipping into turning thought I'd see about getting a stand and jig for the grinder.

These ones on ebay look great. Has anyone got / used one? They seem very good value.

Is the fingernail grind jig ok being a straight bar? I have seen others with a bend in the bar, but do I need that finess?

Why don't you save yourself the money for some more tooling and make up the equivalent yourself.

This simple design has the advantage that the bowl gouge jig is more variable for grind angle adjustments than the fixed metal version.

The simple spindle gouge function can be achieved by modifying the back rest for the tool handle, but they are easily done on a normal grinding wheel flat rest anyway.

If you go on to youtube and put in 'Wolverine Sharpening System' you will see this appears to be a copy of this system.
It also shows you how it gets fingernail grind, assuming it comes with vari-grind jig.
john. B

John. B":1rqsj4gq said:
It also shows you how it gets fingernail grind, assuming it comes with vari-grind jig.
john. B

But the varigrind element offered above (as shown in attachment) is a fixed angle device limiting the profile options that are achievable with something that has the variability of for instance the Tormek jigs.
jig.jpg

Attachments

• jig.jpg
    jig.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,629
So true, what chas says however! the little device shown by mickthetree costs £55.00 and the Tormek with the universal jig would come in at around £470.00 odd.
A trifling you might say?
john. B

well for the money and the time it would take me to make the whole thing I think I could adapt the fingernail grind jig. Give me more time to spend making stuff!

The chisel / planer sharpening jig looks very good too.

I'll pick one up and post back a review.

John. B":15uu9yik said:
So true, what chas says however! the little device shown by mickthetree costs £55.00 and the Tormek with the universal jig would come in at around £470.00 odd.
A trifling you might say?
john. B

I was not suggesting the purchase of the Tormek Jig though, only that the linked to simple design gives the same adjustment capability of the Tormek pivot system, just uses a different pivot point support fulcrum.

mickthetree":22x8a7o2 said:
well for the money and the time it would take me to make the whole thing I think I could adapt the fingernail grind jig. Give me more time to spend making stuff!.

Your prerogative, if the cost is insignificant to you and the couple of hours of shed time to make one up is too much then go for it.

John. B":1o1pwyd8 said:
What do you sharpen your gouges with chas?
John. B

CHJ":1o1pwyd8 said:
__________the tool protrusion and stone to fixture distance is fixed for all my gouges.
__________The tool protrusion setting block can be seen on the right of the jig.
__________My tool tip angles range from 30deg. for detail fingernail gouge to 60deg. for base of bowl gouge.

__________click on images for larger view

_________ ___ ___

**Edit: 2012 this jig has now been modified to operate exactly the same as the tormek head so that it can be used with and alongside a Tormek jig so that I have a jig set to each of my preferred gouge settings.

post250825.html#p250825

Wooden block is still the main pivot point, just that jigs now use the Tormek collar system of pivot arm depth control not the hole blank stop as can be seen in the image.
The left hand wheel is a Blue crystalline from Peter Childs. never needs dressing.

Wooden rail guides are still in place for other earlier jig behind left hand rest in case needed for odd gouges without upsetting my go to jigs.

Sorry for the Thread resurrection!

Did you ever buy these ebay items and worth it? £35 they appear to be now...

Blimey, doesn't time fly!

I did buy one and as I recall I had to request a replacement as the adjustable plate was not welded square to the frame. It wasnt far off, but enough to make it awkward. They chap instantly sent me a replacement part and since then it has been as good as gold.

Rock solid construction. It is so quick and easy to take off one attachment and swap it for the other. I use the adjustable plate when grinding an edge on plane and chisel blades. The thick metal construction also acts as a heat sink. Combined with a norton 3x wheel I never get any overheating.

The long arm rest with the fingernail attachment makes grinding / re-sharpening turning tools a breeze.

I'm sure that there are finer made, micro adjustable grinding stands and wot not available if you so choose. but this has done everything I wanted (once I got the correctly aligned replacement part).

I'll try and take a photo of my setup if I get chance this weekend.

Cheers

I bought one several years ago for under £25. It was well made and quite easy to use. Not sure I would pay £35 for it but that is probably a reasonable price, I have just become less cavalier with my cash.

When set up it is quite invasive in your work area ( it sticks out 2 feet in front of the grinder) so not convenient for everyone.

Bill

P. S. Having seen Micks reply, I would not pay £65.

each to their own. I was short on time and had a requirement so to me I'd pay that again if I were in the same situation. If you have time on your hands then making one is not rocket surgery. its only thick square section welded together. you could easily replace the welds with nut and bolt construction.

When you have finished with it you simply turn the adjuster screw and push the support arm in so it no longer sticks out. Takes seconds to set it up again.

All the best

The Axminster version was about £99 but is now £126.04. Ok, its got an extra jig for offsetting the skew handle to the wheel alignment but that's one heck of a jump in price. The skew is easy to sharpen, even an oval one, using the flat platform. Set the platform angle & align the cutting edge at 90° to the wheel & move the chisel sideways in both directions.
One problem with the Axminster gouge holder is that the holding screw tightens opposite to the normal direction. Never really got used to it.
As also mentioned, the main arm takes up a lot of room either in front of or behind the wheel. Set it up with your longest chisel, add a couple of inches in case you get a longer one in the future, then cut off the excess.
- http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-wo ... tem-950032

Now have the ebay one made in Cornwall & more than happy with it. Mine, & I believe the others on ebay, are meant for a 6" grinder. If you have an 8" grinder you will have to extend the height of the platform & the gouge jig to compensate.

Was lucky enough to buy this outfit for £50
LOOK
8 inch grinder in fair condition - 2 white wheels
Already bolted to base-board :)
Had to drive for it; round trip of 140 miles
s-l1600.jpg

Back