Sharpening gloat by proxy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post pics of the router cutters BugBear sent me for simply ages. I've blotted from my mind how long ago it was. :oops: Anyway, I've been saving their scarily sharp edges for special jobs, and as I was just about to use the V-cutter I thought I better take a couple of pics before I ruined all his hard work. They're a dazzling demonstration of the effectiveness of his ULTIMATE SHARPENING JIG®. Dark glasses may be needed to deal with the glare. :shock:
bbhalfcutter.JPG

Bottom of the 1/2" cutter

bbbevel.JPG

Bevel on the 1/2"

bbVcutter.JPG

Bottom of the V-cutter for cross-grain work

bbVinuse.JPG

V-cutter in use. Not exactly whispy shavings, but that's the limitations of the plane, not the edge.

Thanks, BB, they're a pleasure to blunt. :D And I will get round to making a jig myself, honest I will...

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

I like the shiny cutting edges I would have to be careful assembling them into the plane. I cut my hand putting the iron back into my #4 last time I sharpened it. :oops:

By the way are there teeth marks in the camera from taking that last shot? :wink:

Philly":dfh7rx8p said:
What did he use?
Now BB would have told me, but it's so long ago the email's long gone. Hopefully he'll be along to tell us. Pretty definitely Scary Sharp, but not sure what grit he went up to. Something preposterous in order to demonstrate the wonder of the jig IIRC. :D

DaveL":dfh7rx8p said:
By the way are there teeth marks in the camera from taking that last shot? :wink:
Nope, but the tripod and self timer's getting a lot of work. :)

Cheers, Alf

Something preposterous in order to demonstrate the wonder of the jig IIRC.

Heh. Since I use loose sheets for the finer grits, once everything's setup, there's no real reason not to go to the finest grit you can get. I think I went to 2000 grit.

The finer grits need around 10 strokes when you're working on small bevels.

The biggest hassle is clearing a big enough flat surface in a small workshop.

Have you repaired your camera or obtained a fresh one Alf?

BugBear

Funnily enough had a delivery from Axminster this morning-2500 grit W+D paper, 52p a sheet. Now that is fine!!
I definitely find wet and dry on float glass better for flattening the backs of irons and chisels than my beloved waterstones.(bevels a different beast though!)
Cheers
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back