Sharpening Forstner bits/

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I have 11 Forstener bits that I have had for a lot of years. Ranging fro ¼" to 2". I have sharpened them with my DMT diamond stones but they have now got to the stage where they could do with a bit more attention.

Is there such a thing as a 'system' on the market to do the job, one that works?

Forstner bits should always be sharpened on the bevel, never on the outrside. I have found the best thing is a small drum sander in a pillar drill and various grades of emery paper, but there are lots of possible options using diamond tools and polishing pads in dremel type tools which should do a good job. I don't know of any tools specially made for th purpose.

Jim

I have 11 Forstener bits that I have had for a lot of years.
Perhaps it's time to treat yourself to a new set? or drop hints for Birthday/other celebration gift??
There are so many different designs of Forstener bits I doubt they could make anything to cope with all variations. I have a set of really small diamond files, Flat/triangular/round/half round which are great for improving the edge, but they would struggle to remove much metal on really blunt bits.

These bits are now so cheap, that it's questionable as to whether you would bother to sharpen.
As Sandyn said, treat yourself to a new set. And don't run them too fast in hardwood !

I cleaned up my old cheap HSS set with the Dremel and it perked them up and Ive since bought another cheap chines ebay set, these ones with fearsome TCT’s but they have not had any use yet, very cheap though. The Dremel gets used for my chainsaw and the dogs nails too and its proved over the years to be a really useful thing to have.
No harm in giving it a go whatever you use unless you've got some expensive Rolls Royce brand you don't want to play with,,
Steve

needle files

those cheap sawtooth sets from screwfix are proper blunt when new but a needle file makes them pretty good

I find files far better than diamond for wood drill bits like morticer chisel bits, etc

auger bit file is the best way to sharpen them, it's designed for the job.

Back