Sharpening Circular saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have a festo atf55 circular saw saw. I have been cutting a lot of MDf and Ply recently with no problems (its all toe'd in etc) however i went to cut some 25mm beech at 45degrees and it has burnt like a bbq. Is this due to the wood or is it time to resharpen. Therefore,if so,is it possible to sharpen the blade and where do i go, or is it in the bin
:)

Could be you need a blade with less teeth, were you ripping or cross cutting the beech?

The edge will go off in time, if the blade is a good quality one it will be worth getting sharpened, depending on the number of teeth expect to pay around £10-12. Most good tool or hire shops will take blades in and send them away to be sharpened, usually 1wk turnaround. Also look for saw doctors in yellow pages.

Jason

jasonB":26ff1n8o said:
if the blade is a good quality one
:shock: :shock: :shock:

It's a Festool. You bet it's a good quality one. Well worth sharpening. I've had it done a good few times now. I bought two new ones so that I can send two off to be sharpened while I use the third

John

On the sharpening issue, I keep my circular saw blad honed with a diamond slip - I don't use the saw that often and it's reserved more for joinery work. I use Trend's 5" slip - it's moncrystaline so it cuts quick, even TCT tipped blades, and won't wear out quickly - it is double sided with a coarse and fine grade (it's quite expensive, but I find it really helpful for sharpening lots of things). I find it's quite quick to do - a few careful wipes across the flat face of each tooth. Any serious sharpening is obviously better done by a professional to ensure that the tooth geometry isn't messed up.

We have a tool sharpener in paignton Devon, if you reside in this area, he also replaces missing teeth (not dentistry though). Quoted me £14 for a CMT blade last year (I cut through a steel ruler that was laying about :oops: )

Eversharp . 01803 557744 Unit 4 Singers Yard, Torquay Rd. Paignton

Back