• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Sharpening Circular saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

A

Anonymous

I have a festo atf55 circular saw saw. I have been cutting a lot of MDf and Ply recently with no problems (its all toe'd in etc) however i went to cut some 25mm beech at 45degrees and it has burnt like a bbq. Is this due to the wood or is it time to resharpen. Therefore,if so,is it possible to sharpen the blade and where do i go, or is it in the bin
:)

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
Could be you need a blade with less teeth, were you ripping or cross cutting the beech?

The edge will go off in time, if the blade is a good quality one it will be worth getting sharpened, depending on the number of teeth expect to pay around £10-12. Most good tool or hire shops will take blades in and send them away to be sharpened, usually 1wk turnaround. Also look for saw doctors in yellow pages.

Jason

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
jasonB":26ff1n8o said:
if the blade is a good quality one
:shock: :shock: :shock:

It's a Festool. You bet it's a good quality one. Well worth sharpening. I've had it done a good few times now. I bought two new ones so that I can send two off to be sharpened while I use the third

John

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
On the sharpening issue, I keep my circular saw blad honed with a diamond slip - I don't use the saw that often and it's reserved more for joinery work. I use Trend's 5" slip - it's moncrystaline so it cuts quick, even TCT tipped blades, and won't wear out quickly - it is double sided with a coarse and fine grade (it's quite expensive, but I find it really helpful for sharpening lots of things). I find it's quite quick to do - a few careful wipes across the flat face of each tooth. Any serious sharpening is obviously better done by a professional to ensure that the tooth geometry isn't messed up.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a tool sharpener in paignton Devon, if you reside in this area, he also replaces missing teeth (not dentistry though). Quoted me £14 for a CMT blade last year (I cut through a steel ruler that was laying about :oops: )

Eversharp . 01803 557744 Unit 4 Singers Yard, Torquay Rd. Paignton