Sharpening: A serrated knife?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised not a single response has mentioned the angle of the grinding. I have been hand honing 5 Knives tonight (admittedly not serrated this time) to a 30 degree shoulder angle then a 20 degree blade angle. Does anyone else have an opinion of the the honing angle?
Steel on knives about 15º so the included angle is near the universal sharpening angle of 30º. Main thing is to hit roughly the same angle every time and get into the habit. Rounded bevel OK no prob.

I only know how to sharpen these on a butchers steel.

Angled on the serrated side and then flat on the non serrated side. Trying to sharpen on each serration is pretty much just nuts.
Sorry that should be 'honing' the blade. Trying to regrind it im not sure that was ever an option, but if you've a dremel then I suppose you could.

I only know how to sharpen these on a butchers steel.

Angled on the serrated side and then flat on the non serrated side. ...
I do same both sides. Seems to work.

Using a diamond needle file (half round), I've sharpened the gullets nicely, I'll leave the points.
Result: Much easier to cut fresh bread.
Thanks for the suggestions.

As an apprentice it was frowned upon to use a jig, hand hold only, and so it continued for around ten years, rounded bevel, re grinding, rounded bevel and so on, then I started using a honing jig, voila, no more rounded bevel and I’ve never gone back.

If you want the same result in edge strength and sharpness, chase the rounded bevel angles shallower (they'll end up around the same at the apex).

Rounded bevels hold up a little bit better at a given angle than flat (likely because they very tip of the apex creeps past the expected included angle), but have less resistance if the angle behind them is chased shallower.

Back