Shared 'pen blank' purchase. They're here!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I started a recent thread about crosscut pen blanks and how easy/difficult they might be to turn, see 'Crosscut pen blanks', these are some of the items in question.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160317308039

I've also traded blanks with a couple of other members recently and one of them mentioned 'bulk buying' by forum members (not necessarily here) to keep costs down/buy stuff that would normally be too large a quantity for one person or qualify for bulk discounts.

So, if anyone is interested I'd be prepared to bid/buy this lot upto a sensible price and split it down at whatever we paid per blank, plus whatever it costs me to post to others within the UK. Not looking to make anything, just to end up paying pro rata for my share.

Not sure if this has 'legs' or not but time will tell, although this lot has less than two days to go so reply sooner rather than later if interested! I'm not looking for any financial commitment from anyone at this stage, just an idea of interest, maybe how many you'd like?, what you'd be prepared to go upto per blank?

Worst case scenario is I buy them, turn some myself and put the surplus on eBay.co.uk; I've never seen anything similar 'this side of the pond' so I'm sure they'd sell - just don't know how much for!

Anyway, let me know what you think, and apologies if this has been tried before, success or failure, or if it's against any forum rules (moderator please advise?) as I'm not out to upset anyone.

Cheers,

Neil.

neil, this is just my experience from ebay.com,,,,
buying all that lot you will find that some of the blanks are not top notch. dont get me wrong most will be quite good. but here is the really bad news,, that lot is going to weigh quite a lot,, so then you will atract the customs man + handling. then it works out very expensive.
now if you want drop dead gorgous burr wood blanks even cocobolo burr
yes thats right, cocobolo burr blanks then get them from nolan at
www.harrisburlsupply.com he is also a member of iap. i have had loads from him and have never been let down. so has they say on dragons den,, i'm out. sorry. just my 2 pence worth.

I'd be happy to buy say £25 worth
looks like they may make £100 ish Judging on his previous auctions
Shipping may be £30-40 ish
So if thats right about 20-25 blanks for my £25

Ian

Hi Neil,
Based on Ian's calculation you can put me down for £20 worth.
A nice selection of blanks there!
Good luck with it.
regards, beejay

Bill, Ian, Greggy,

Thanks for the replies, interesting to hear what you think, both pro and con.

I have personally purchased blanks from both USA and Oz three times previously in similar quantities, not had to pay any duty or VAT yet. I looked up the customs tariff last night and if I'm reading it correctly the duty on this type of thing from the USA is 0%... which might explain it.

Recent auctions of similar lots from this seller have gone for between $41 and $146, mostly selling around the $50 to $80 ish level. The $146 seems to have been a bidding war!

If we got this for (easy mathematics sake) $95 + $45 p&p that equals $1 per blank to my address. That's about 70p at todays exchange rate. Delivery to you I'd guess about 15p per blank (may be economic to post in more than one package strangely) so 85p each. Obviously it might be less than $95 (I personally wouldn't want to go much higher) and conversely there might be customs stuff to pay, so if we said 85p +/- 15% I think we'd be in the right ballpark. I make that between 72p and £1 roughly, delivered to you.

I know there's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes in there but it is rather a 'finger in the air' calculation at the moment. The good news is that both of you seemed to be as happy as I would be to buy them at that kind of price, upto £1 max. I personally think that once turned the pens would be really good sellers, plus it's always nice to turn something a bit different, even if crosscut equals tricky.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Neil.

neil, please please dont get me wrong, if you do get them at a good price
even at £2 a blank i would also be in with the buy. all i am saying is you must be aware of the potential pitfalls. so i hope you get them. good look.

No problem Greggy, the more the merrier!. And point taken and understoood re duty & VAT etc.

With regard to the potential quality issue, the seller has excellent feedback and I'll personally commit to giving out the 'best' blanks to those of you who want in, if there's anything of less quality I'll keep them back - so no risk to you.

It won't be £2 per blank though, too rich for me.

Cheers,

Neil.

If you do win these and need finance as it may be a while untill they come I'm happy to send you some by paypal on you winning the lot
Ian

And i think that any sharing up of blanks is to be as fair as possible...dont do yourself out of any you like for instance

Cheers Ian,

I've never had any 'poor' blanks in any lot I've bought and hopefully these will be the same, certainly looks promising from the photos & feedback. Fortunately most 'genuine' eBayers seem to value their reputation.

Neil.

god I'm tempted by the uniqueness of them but I've never turned a pen. What's involved and are these the sort of thing that you can put at the back of the shelf to get to when you've got the skill or would they degrade and need to be used sooner rather than later?

Worth a £20 punt?

Miles

Miles they are actually very easy to turn (that's coming from me) and quite addictive. You need to buy a mandrel, bushings and then a 'kit' for each blank you want to turn into a pen. You can get it all on eBay or Turner's retreat.

Pen turning is a great way to use and show off exotic or interesting timbers.

Oh and the timber will last longer than you, so don't worry about that ;)

Hi Miles,

Pens aren't the most difficult thing to turn, fiddly perhaps with the assembly etc., it's really all about attention to detail and getting a good finish. The blanks will keep almost indefinitely.

The auction ends today so we'll see how much they fetch. If too much (for me anyway) there is another lot in a couple of days time.

Cheers,

Neil

Miles if you look on the Turner's Retreat website, they have some free videos on making pens.

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I was outbid on this lot. However, all is not lost!

There is another similar lot in a couple of days time, again 140 blanks...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160317737113

Failing that I've been in contact with the seller by email today. He said that he would, and has several times (with others), sell a box directly to me so that's still an option depending upon price obviously.

If/when I do get some I'd prefer to sell them in multiples of 20 if that's OK with you? It would still be upto/around the £20 mark which everyone seems happy with. It's just to make life simpler for me as there are 7 blanks each of 10 species; that means 7 people could get 2 of each species (i.e. 20 blanks).... although anyone could purchase more than one lot obviously!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on progress.

On a side note, Miles I'd definitely recommend trying with some cheap kits and cheaper 'log grain' blanks first. I've turned 60 pens approx. and still think the 'crosscut' blanks could prove tricky. I do believe they'd be well worth any pain though for the finished article.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil Dyball":s9tn1ur4 said:
Hi guys,

Unfortunately I was outbid on this lot. However, all is not lost!

If/when I do get some I'd prefer to sell them in multiples of 20 if that's OK with you? It would still be upto/around the £20 mark which everyone seems happy with. It's just to make life simpler for me as there are 7 blanks each of 10 species; that means 7 people could get 2 of each species (i.e. 20 blanks).... although anyone could purchase more than one lot obviously!

On a side note, Miles I'd definitely recommend trying with some cheap kits and cheaper 'log grain' blanks first. I've turned 60 pens approx. and still think the 'crosscut' blanks could prove tricky. I do believe they'd be well worth any pain though for the finished article.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil

I'm still in and I am firmly intending to practice on other, easier, woods to get the technique and indeed shape right - hence my question about the shelf life of the blanks:)

Miles

No problem John, welcome aboard!

That makes 6 confirmed so far (including me) and 7 would be enough to share 140 so not doing too badly. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised as these 'things' are often subject to natural apathy. I'd actually be happy to keep 40 myself so not a problem if no more takers.

Miles, very wise! I've had one or two failures along the way.

Cheers,

Neil.

Back