Shaping the internal sides of boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what techniques people use for shaping the internal sides of their boxes? and also how you flatten the internal bottom?

I currently use a spindle gouge to fine tune the internal sides, and then a 3/8" parting tool as a negative rake scraper for the bottom. Although I haven't found a safe way to sand the internal bottom, so leave that straight from the tool (far from perfect).

It works pretty well, but when applying colour, it brings out all the defects, so am looking for ways to improve the finish.

Is this making boxes from a solid piece? Any box that needs assembling can be completely smoother before being fitted together.

I assume you're talking about turned boxes, from a single piece of wood.

Finishing the insides, I do, in a imilar fashion to you, but you do need to get your sharpening system working well for you. Or should I say you need to practice with a good system and get good.

I use a slow grinder with a 120 CBN wheel, but I'm still working on getting better.

For flat bottom boxes, I flatten the internal bottom with a bedan.
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.4_uHlccIrazFrmi4rfovMQHaDa&pid=Api

I assume you're talking about turned boxes, from a single piece of wood.

Yep wood turned boxes from a solid piece of wood.

I guess the Bedan is pretty similar to the parting tool? just without the negative rake? so easier to get a catch?

Yes, it's pretty similar, but with a wider blade. I've not had a catch with this, but maybe I've always taken care to have a downward slope on the top edge?
I've had catches with round-end scrapers, but not the bedan.

For sanding a piece of dowel with a slot a short way down the length holds your abrasive.
Locking forceps are also good but for safety's sake, don't put your fingers through the eyes.

Long shaft flap wheels are also available.
Tip 033a - Deep Sanding.jpg
Tip 033b - Deep Sanding.jpg
Tip 033b - Deep Sanding.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't have any dowel to hand (if only I had a lathe to turn some), but did have a round brush. Works really well for the sides and can even conform the abrasive to do areas at the bottom too. I like to hold the brush with one hand and slide the paper back and forth with the other.

Attachments

• 20200829_161508.jpg
    20200829_161508.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200829_161524.jpg
    20200829_161524.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Can you round a piece of wood to a large round so that it fits into the bottom attach the sandpaper to the end so that you can sand the bottom. You can use hand tools to do this if a lathe is not available.

Latest posts

Back