Shallow hanging shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racers":3jh4ph9e said:
Very nice!

A few lengths of 1/4 round will stop them slipping off.

Pete

Thank you Pete. Yes, a small quadrant is probably what I will go with. Or a wedge shape - I just don't want the edge of the shelves looking too chunky, as they are thick enough as it is.

Ryandotdee":1xfmyua2 said:
Looks fantastic, I am envious of the joinery, wedged through tennons are on my list of joints to try, after seeing this project I think they have been bumped to the top!

Thank you, do try them they aren't really that difficult.

You'll probably know this anyway, but the way I did it was mortices first, working from both sides, then cut the haunch type thingy between the mortices, then cut tenons to fit, and I found it very useful to have a jig to ensure the cuts for the wedges were all in the same place. The wedges were all sawn to the same nominal size, taped to a bit of wood and all sanded together to try and ensure uniformity.

It;s pretty satisfying when you saw off the excess and plane it flat. Almost makes it worthwhile...

AndyT":36o3dw1j said:
Very nice! Proper woodwork, not just a diy job.

Thank you AndyT. When are we going to see another of your WIP? I really like those. Although mind you, now I know how much work is involved in even pulling together something as modest as this I can understand your reluctance.

Trainee neophyte":354ommb1 said:
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

...and rather good at woodwork, and self-deprecating, and a good egg generally. I really enjoy your posts; thank you.

Consider me inspired to work with hand tools (eventually, when I have time).

How do you know the height and comeliness thing was what I was getting at. I could be Phoenician. Or have been dead for 14 days (although zombie woodworkers is a bit of a small demographic). Or a fan of the works of Iain M Banks.

But thank you anyway.

Simon_M":1h6yfcl3 said:
It's a well executed project and the story leading up to it's construction provides "providence" (doubles it's worth no doubt too).

Was it necessary for the shelves to be pinned to the back to support the weight of filled jars?

I saw the plywood back and immediately thought that it was "out of character" with the shelves. However, you painted it and the "problem" is solved. Perhaps it would be easier to get as good a finish as you have - but with less effort, using MDF?

You have put the wall fixings beneath the top. That's good, and for shelves it's a good idea to not put the fixing on the top shelf. By putting it one shelf down (similar to what you have done) the fixing will hold the unit to the wall and the top will pull the bottom in - so no need for extra fixings etc.

The diagonal wedges remind me that a shelf doesn't always need a lip e.g. to hold a jar. Either you can omit the "lip" - does a jar move in the middle of the night so as to fall on the floor (no)? Or you might cut the shelf slots (and the shelf front) to be on a very slight gradient - to naturally hold jars etc. back against the wall, again without needing a lip.

Thank you, Simon_M. No, the attachment of the back is not necessary for strength at all. I only put the screws in along the shelves to counteract any tendancy for the back to bow out.

I simply used plywood because it was what I had to hand. On something of this size the difference in the length of time you take in achieving a good finish over MDF say, is, to my mind, negligible.

Oh, and I'm not overly concerned about the jars moving in the night, more if someone slams the larder door, or opens it violently (I don't know, maybe a sudden and overpowering urge for saffron, say. It could happen).

You’re probably embarrassed with all this praise Phlebas but it’s well deserved. Shows that you don’t need expensive hardwoods or indeed tools to make a well thought out, skilfully crafted and useful piece of furniture. Well done.

Marineboy":1u0maff9 said:
You’re probably embarrassed with all this praise Phlebas but it’s well deserved. Shows that you don’t need expensive hardwoods or indeed tools to make a well thought out, skilfully crafted and useful piece of furniture. Well done.

Thank you Marine boy. Yes, you are right it is embarrassing, because there are many, many projects on here that are more deserving. It is after all only the third or fourth thing I have ever made.

Still, it’s better than the alternative, I suppose…

Back