Shadow Foam for Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m contemplating buying some shadow foam for the drawers in my new US Pro Tools tool chest.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of it and how easy it might be to cut.

Kind Regards… Rob

Shadowfoam.com
Quite a new but successful and expanding business. They supply direct plus it's their product that you can buy from the Sealey catalogue.
Very handy stuff if you like your tools organised.
Original foam is finer with a thin colour coat applied to the surface. It cuts easily with a scalpel and is well suited to collectibles, electrical and measuring tools, photographic etc.
20220218_001554.jpg

Easy peel is a coarser foam laid down in layers. This is more durable, grease resistant etc and I'd say better for mechanical and power tools.
I've used both and I'm a fan.
Hint: scalpel blades cut amazingly well when they are fresh but blunt quickly. That's just how it is. Expect to cut in say 3 or 4 tools and you will then feel the blade just begin to drag. It will still be super sharp, more than any other blade in your workshop, but not "cut you as soon as look at you" sharp like a scalpel fresh out of the packet. They are really cheap so buy a handful of 5 packs, change them frequently and toss the used blades in a tin for less critical work.
I make the first cut around whatever it is about half a blade length (8-10mm) deep. This is as deep as you can go without trying to pull the front part of the handle through the cut. Once you have this outline, you can begin to peel and carve to deepen the cutout. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Get some and have a go :)

Shadowfoam.com
Quite a new but successful and expanding business. They supply direct plus it's their product that you can buy from the Sealey catalogue.
Very handy stuff if you like your tools organised.
Original foam is finer with a thin colour coat applied to the surface. It cuts easily with a scalpel and is well suited to collectibles, electrical and measuring tools, photographic etc.
View attachment 129654
Easy peel is a coarser foam laid down in layers. This is more durable, grease resistant etc and I'd say better for mechanical and power tools.
I've used both and I'm a fan.
Hint: scalpel blades cut amazingly well when they are fresh but blunt quickly. That's just how it is. Expect to cut in say 3 or 4 tools and you will then feel the blade just begin to drag. It will still be super sharp, more than any other blade in your workshop, but not "cut you as soon as look at you" sharp like a scalpel fresh out of the packet. They are really cheap so buy a handful of 5 packs, change them frequently and toss the used blades in a tin for less critical work.
I make the first cut around whatever it is about half a blade length (8-10mm) deep. This is as deep as you can go without trying to pull the front part of the handle through the cut. Once you have this outline, you can begin to peel and carve to deepen the cutout. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Get some and have a go :)
Really appreciate this comprehensive advice Sideways 👍🏼
Kind Regards… Rob

I’m looking at this for the exact same reason as OP.

It seems massively over priced. When I add custom pieces to my basket they nearly double in price?

I haven't bought any for a while but I looked at the shadowfoam website because of your post. I think something is happening with the pricing engine. Bespoke sizes appear to be unusually low priced until you add them to the basket or click the quantity up and down again which refreshes the displayed price.

Like anything else, the price is what the company can get for their product and their business has been growing quickly so that suggests the demand is out there at the prices they charge.
It will always cost more if someone has to program a non standard cut into the cnc, allow for wastage and custom packing. It may be there are allowances aren't calculated until you click into the basket.
Buying standard sizes and packs of (3?) sheets will be the way to get the best prices, look at the bargain corner too.

I haven't bought any for a while but I looked at the shadowfoam website because of your post. I think something is happening with the pricing engine. Bespoke sizes appear to be unusually low priced until you add them to the basket or click the quantity up and down again which refreshes the displayed price.

Like anything else, the price is what the company can get for their product and their business has been growing quickly so that suggests the demand is out there at the prices they charge.
It will always cost more if someone has to program a non standard cut into the cnc, allow for wastage and custom packing. It may be there are allowances aren't calculated until you click into the basket.
Buying standard sizes and packs of (3?) sheets will be the way to get the best prices, look at the bargain corner too.
It would work out at £95 for a small sealey cabinet. The cabinet only cost £140 on sale.

Ive seen big pieces on walls with power tools. Can only guess what people are paying for them. Mental imo.

I had some foam floor tiles left over. Going to use those. Look good, do the same job (in shallow tool trays) and unbelievably cheap in comparison.

The thicker pieces cut to size for power tool boxes are good, but not worth it for shallow tool trays.

It would work out at £95 for a small sealey cabinet. The cabinet only cost £140 on sale.

Ive seen big pieces on walls with power tools. Can only guess what people are paying for them. Mental imo.

I had some foam floor tiles left over. Going to use those. Look good, do the same job (in shallow tool trays) and unbelievably cheap in comparison.

The thicker pieces cut to size for power tool boxes are good, but not worth it for shallow tool trays.
Would agree. Like you, watched a few videos last year (where the foam guy turned up) and looked up the prices. Didn't watch another one after that.
If the bloke can command such prices fair play to him, just not for me.

Have you tried these people
https://www.theplasticshop.co.ukWhat you are looking for is polyethylene foam..which is available from lots of people all over the world..shadow foam is just what one company happens to call their product based on it.
I’ll take a look. Thanks
I've never tried it, but I have read about making fitted tool storage using expanding foam and an old t-shirt (obviously there's a bit more to it than that). Would this suit your purposes?

This gives the general idea: https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum/general/48480-keeping-instruments-small-tools-safe
Better than buying shadow foam for sure. Foam floor tiles seem to be working really well.
Would agree. Like you, watched a few videos last year (where the foam guy turned up) and looked up the prices. Didn't watch another one after that.
If the bloke can command such prices fair play to him, just not for me.
I’m easily parted with my money when I like the look of something but this is ridiculous
I buy a lot of foam inserts for our students' projects. This is the best I've found at a reasonable price, if you need thicker just glue a few sheets in a stack.

RS PRO F2 Medium Density Rectangular Foam Insert, For Use With RS PRO ABS Stackable Tool Boxes | RS

View attachment 161379
They look great. Confirm what I thought about the shadow foam prices.
Thanks for that 👍

Sealey do regular promotional catalogues to push whatever they want to sell, to introduce new products and to discount selected products. You'll find toolbox foam in those catalogues alongside their tool cabinets. It's shadowfoam's product. I wonder how the pricing compares to the shadowfoam website ?

Sealey do regular promotional catalogues to push whatever they want to sell, to introduce new products and to discount selected products. You'll find toolbox foam in those catalogues alongside their tool cabinets. It's shadowfoam's product. I wonder how the pricing compares to the shadowfoam website ?
They suggested I look at shadowfoam on their site when I asked if they had modular trays for the cabinet I bought.

I expected the cabinet to be total rubbish for £140 but it’s fine for a shed. Wouldn’t pay the £290 rrp though.

Back