sgs engineering.. BEWARE!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidofqwerty

Reaction score
Following an on going problem, where I purchased a air compressor from sgs, the compressor is 2 months old model number SC100V £239.99 with 2 1/2 hours use and the head gasket and the rubber cylinder head seal blew due to the compressor not being assembled properly, they told me they didnt have the rubber seal but would send a new gasket out. A week later I recieved the gasket only to find that once I opened the envelope they sent me a USED gasket that they had taken of another compressor, FIRSTLY I should never have to be replacing gaskets at this stage of the compressors light usage, SECONDLY what kind of so called professional company sends a USED gasket to a customer with a compressor which has a 2 YEAR WARRANTY. when I rang it was the usual excuses, and he said to me " WEVE TRIED TO HELP YOU ALL WE CAN BY SENDING A FREE GASKET OUT" lol. Considering theres a 2 year warranty it should be FREE, but they sent me a used gasket and they cant seem to see the problem with that. Anyone who knows about any type of engines knows that you dont put USED gaskets on a cylinder head. AGAIN they said that they dont have any in stock which would explain the used one, but how can they produce air compressors without head gaskets lol, so that's clearly a lie. I've now been told I will have a NEW gasket maybee by Friday but cant promise anything. YET MORE TIME THAT I CANT WORK. a real professional company would have offered to take the compressor back and send a new one considering it's still under warranty. Full of excuses yet again, and when I asked to speak with a manager he told me that the manager could do nothing for me that he couldnt do lol. I'm now going to contact trading standards with my concerns, and looks like I'm going to have to buy equipment with a company that's actually competent.

I had wondered how good they actually were, they seemed too cheap which I guess reflects in the quality. Cheap Chinese junk with a sticker on the side.

Little 24L ABAC compressor has had a very hard life and is still going strong.

MikeG.":3ezvy9xc said:
Send it back and get your money back. Buy more carefully next time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Tried doing that and they wont except it or give me a new one. Should never have broke this early into its usage.

How did you buy it, credit card, PayPal, Bank Card, all have protection build in re fit for use.

Why are you trying to repair it yourself when it's only 2.5 months old ? Just get them to repair it or refund you.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They wouldn't refund me or give me a new one, and used the fact that I'm self employed and need it for work, they said if they take it for repair it could take several weeks, therefore I couldnt do my work lol.

The seller doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to them where they should either replace the faulty item with a new one or give you a full refund including any carriage charged.
Trading Standards are now part of the Citizens Advice Bureau & are probably your best port of call.

Ive hsd trouble with SGS before and their returns process. They try to bully you if you want to return faulty goods - do not stand for it. Send it back.

I have not used citizens advice but I am told that it can be a drawn out process, and to a small business, time is money. It is a fairly simple matter, based on the limited facts that have given, I would advise a few minutes on the internet and write a letter yourself.

Depending who bought it, the consumer protection act may not apply. Your first task is to establish whether it was your business who bought it (sale of goods act applies) or if it was you personally (consumer rights act). It makes a difference to your rights and course of action.

Google from there and you will find a suitable template letter If you can't, I probably have one at work, so drop me a line.

If it is a business purchase, it is worth checking through the terms and conditions of the contract to see what is excluded.

If they ignore your letters, it is a question if what you want to do. You could take it to court, but that will cost a few quid more going through the small claims court. You could claim that from the other side, but half a day spent doing it and a few hours prep is starting to get expensive.

Did you buy it on credit card? May be worth a call to them and let them deal with it.

I will add that it is a couple of years since I looked at this. I haven't researched it thoroughly , so the above post is to point you in the right direction to do some research.

Here's a link that might help you, there's als some info on how to write your email or letter.
https://ceoemail.com/index.php?s=S

I'd send a letter to both directors, might be father and son or brothers, and mark it personal, quicker if you can find their email address, keep it short and factual as well as polite and say in no uncertain termes that you feel you have been fobbed off, have taken advice, ( well you have on here haven't you :wink: ) and require a replacement or refund.
If you have dates of telephone calls, names etc. it helps and keep note of them and copies of all correspondence.

Worked for me with BA and BT as well as Hunter when my wife's expensive wellies were faulty and they fobbed her off.
Directors names as below.

Attachments

• SGS 1.jpg
    SGS 1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,079
I had an awkward return with SGS, I quoted the consumer contracts act at them and they begrudgingly accepted "as a gesture of goodwill".

As mentioned above, if bought on a credit card and more than £100, you can use the consumer credit act to just claim off the credit card company as they are jointly liable. They'll then recover their costs from the retailer.

My experience with SGS has been abysmal. So abysmal in fact that I felt compelled to finally join this forum!
I purchased the SC100V direct drive compressor originally, as well as the 34 degree framing nail gun. The compressor was faulty. I suspected it was the non-return valve, as did they. They sent me a new NRV but failed to mention that it's extremely difficult to take the thread out of the reservoir tank. I decided that rather than tear the thing to shreds with a wrench, i'd opt for swapping the faulty machine with a new one. The second one came and, lo and behold, it was faulty. This time, the connecter between the cylinders had cracked (on the brass fitting). This was 100% due to it being poorly packaged and irresponsibly transported (I witnessed the courier flipping it from an upside down position in his van). The customer service team were helpful to a degree (although I had to spend valuable working hours chasing them for answers which should have been easily afforded to me), and in the end they gave me an ultimatum - I could risk getting a third one, but they wouldn't take it back if it was faulty. In other words, I would be liable for their damaged goods. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor when I read this in an email. You can probably guess that I opted for a full refund.

To conclude, I was bitterly disappointed with SGS as a company, both with their products and their customer support. I can only hope that their framing gun doesn't let me down. I'm now looking at the Clarke Raider 15/1050 as an alternative (same HP and CFM as the SGS equivalent). Anyone got any experience with this machine?

Why do you feel compelled to join a woodworking forum just to share that on an old thread?

Good question!

1- The thread is still active and presumably helpful for people considering buying from SGS.

2- As a cabinet maker turned timber framer, I've used this forum in the past to help inform my decisions, particularly around purchasing tools and machines. Up until this month i've been a passive observer. Now i've made a contribution however, one that I feel is a genuinely helpful piece of anecdotal evidence, I feel much more inclined to add to threads in the future, especially as I have a broad range of woodworking experience to draw upon.

3- Why do you feel compelled to join a supposedly "old thread" to ask me a largely rhetorical question? Do you have any experience with SGS as a company you'd like to share?

Back