Sewing table - wall mounted drop down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
In the vain hope that I can release our dining table for the purpose it was designed for, I have agreed to build my wife a sewing station in one of the bedrooms. To save space, the plan is to wall mount the table and have this drop down when needed. I have already cheated slightly in buying 2 x 9 drawer IKEA units (which would take me an eternity to build and cost a fortune) and the intention is to have the table drop down between these. This will be functional rather than anything particularly aesthetic (i.e. not using my decent timber) and I'm really looking for any design ideas, suggestions, thoughts on hardware, types of legs etc. One possibility is to incorporate the table (when folded up) as the front of a narrow set of shelves which would help hide the clutter but I'm not looking for this to be a major project as I have a list of "proper" projects as long as my arm. Any help and advice will be gladly received.

Glynne

Simplest design that springs to mind is like a gate-leg table. Lift up the flap, swing out the leg, et voila. This could work with your "shelves behind" idea?

Glynne":1llke28h said:
To save space, the plan is to wall mount the table and have this drop down when needed. I have already cheated slightly in buying 2 x 9 drawer IKEA units (which would take me an eternity to build and cost a fortune) and the intention is to have the table drop down between these.
Glynne

Would it be possible to use the drawer units as support for the table/shelf in its dropped position?

xy

Back